National Lift Tower - 400ft dive

This was some epic (street legal!) fun with the very sub 250g Crux35. This is the remarkably bonkers National Lift Tower, which is on a roundabout. On a housing estate. In Northampton. :exploding_head:

Got a feeling @group-fpv would like this one…

Several packs up and down. Gravity feels oddly slow from 400ft up… well, until the last 50ft or so anyway!

10 Likes

I’ve looked at this a couple of times, but it’s nowhere near here. Must make a trip down your way at some point. Seems to be lots of interesting stuff to fly.

1 Like

I have flown there, but from the Stadium side, it’s covered in a blue zone that covers both the rugby and football stadiums. Obviously to TOAL from the stadium side I had permission. Night flight during 2020, I think from my nights there, we had a Notam in situ, but I got above the tower and it’s higher that 400ft, I think it’s 400ft from the platform you climb out from. I could be wrong but I was about 430 to clear everything above the tower

There’s another one over near high Wycombe,seen it from Motorway m40

What’s one of them then ?

Authorization Zones

Authorization Zones: In these zones, which appear in blue on the map, users will be prompted with a warning and flight is limited by default. Authorization Zones may be unlocked by authorized users using a DJI verified account.
Franklin gardens which is the area near or around the tower. As I was recording lasers being beamed up onto the tower from inside the stadium, I got my M2P unlocked with DJI and had permission to TOAL from inside the stadium. Alternatively you can fly from industrial estate outside the blue area or from stadium car park fields further out, I encounter too much busybody’s and plod, so used the stadium for my activity at night

1 Like

1 Like

Oh the made up DJI shit, no relevance to any CAA restrictions

There’s a hack for that :wink:

Other companies make drones that don’t have such handcuffs

1 Like

Oh yeah but obviously using a dji drone on a job it wasn’t an option, from speaking to stadium owners it’s active during games to prevent supposedly drones flying over into area for betting purposes, clearly it doesn’t work from previously reported incidents and if your in the know how to unlocking our drones so do what we want(which I have now but not in 2020). Not being in the fpv side of things it’s interesting to see what is achieved from such a tall building which over here we certainly don’t have in abundance.

1 Like