National Memorial Arboretum - Added to Monuments in West Midlands

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission not required.

The National Memorial Arboretum is a British site of national remembrance at Alrewas, near Lichfield, Staffordshire. Its objective is to honour the fallen, recognise service and sacrifice, and foster pride in the British Armed Forces and civilian community.

The Arboretum welcomes over 300,000 visitors to site each year, including over 20,000 young people for formal and informal learning visits. Visitors can enjoy discovering over 400 memorials nestled amongst some 25,000 trees, experience riverside walks and participate in a wide variety of daily activities: guided walks, land train tours, memorial talks, exhibitions and buggy tours.

Each year around 250 events take place on site, from small intimate services of Remembrance to set piece events like Armistice Day, Remembrance Sunday, a summer proms and Armed Forces Day.

Entry to the Arboretum is free, but in order for them to provide the best customer experience they are limiting the numbers in their buildings and grounds. They recommend booking your visit in advance to guarantee entry. Their grounds are open from 10am – 4pm.

I took off (after 1600hrs when they were closed) from beside the concrete encased metal barrier that's adjacent to the rounderbout at the end of Barley Green Lane (which leads to the Arboretum). You can see it quite easily if you zoom into google maps. The nearest place to park from my TOAL is the Arboretum itself (for a small charge) but on the day I visited I got my wife to drop me off and pick me up!

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 07/03/2023. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

4 Likes

Fabulous - must go sooner than later. :+1:

Well done, you have managed to make it look interesting, I went a few years back when it first opened and I have to say it was one of the most boring places that I have ever visited. Tea room was it’s only saving grace.

I get that. I went about 5 years ago. I was super stressed at work and found it kind of relaxing. So much so that I fell asleep on the train ride around the monuments! It’s definitely a Marmite place that You’ll either like it for what it represents or you dont! :blush: