National trust boundaries map

I am struggling to find decent launch spots for National trust boundaried areas - is there any online map that actually shows the boundaries of their property? I know that have a source themselves but its a bit clunky and overlays for too much pointless info - anyone know where I can find one?

3 Likes

https://nationaltrust.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=a7a56518c10845daab1950239e041447

A whole load of switchable layers, most of which you can turn off.

I leave them set like this …

8 Likes

Sorry, does that mean I can fly anywhere here, just not in the black sections?

1 Like

Nope - not necessarily.

Dartmoor is a National Park (not National Trust) and they have their own rules. (I’ve no idea about Dartmoor.)

3 Likes

See Dartmoor byelaws 18.2: Byelaws | Dartmoor if you’re on public open access land. If you’re on private land within Dartmoor, those byelaws don’t seem to apply, but IANAL.

Personally, I’d find a quiet spot and just get on with it.

3 Likes

Thanks for this map - exactly what I needed with the settings you provided. I now have my LZee!!!

1 Like

Sorry to reeanimate an old thread but thought it was better than starting a new one.

I’m trying to understand where we’re allowed to fly given the National Trust ban on flying on their land (lets leave aside for now the question of flying over their land).

The dronescene map very helpfully has outlines of NT land. However when you look at the National Trust map linked above it shows much larger areas as being their land.

For instance, here’s an area of Hadrian’s wall on Dronescene.

Here’s the same area on the NT trust map.

The dronescene area seems to correspond to the Open Access areas on the NT map. But the map also shows much larger areas that have been acquired by the Trust at different dates.

So if we want to obey the rules, should we avoid any areas shown coloured on the NT map?
And if so would it be possible / more appropriate to add those layers to the dronescene map?

See previous discussion here:

Dronescene doesn’t have access to the full NT property boundaries, only to the Open Access areas.

The NT byelaws seem to me to imply they cover all the land they own, but I’m no lawyer:

I have flown from the wider NT property limits on several occasions without being challenged.

And more on the same topic from a few weeks ago:

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying.

My appologies if this was shared before, but the link is to a handy map which maps out the exact boundaries of the national trust’s land. One can use this when preparing for your flight to ensure that you do not take offf and land from their land.

3 Likes

@OzoneVibe High Dave. Dont suppose you know if their is a boundary NT map still available? The link you posted that used to work is no longer available. I think the NT have updated their website and the map no longer has boundries!

Seems to have moved to …

https://national-trust.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=59d0d36e5b3a44ae8cc49fe38d47ffd7

Yes but the link above provided by @JustMe seems to go to same map you just have to scroll down more. Which is why I deleted my question (brought it back so it makes sense to others reading this). Will use your link though now as it gets straight into it! :+1:

Was at Foremark Reservoir in Derby yesterday. There were signs everywhere stating it was National Trust, with the inevitable “No Drones” warnings. I had checked on the web and it’s owned by the Water Board as far as I can tell but run by the NT. @PingSpike, @ozonevibe There is no indication in Drone Scene or the National Trust boundaries map that it is NT Land (that would make sense if the Water Board actually still owned it).

I erred on the side of caution and chose not to TOAL at the ideal car parking spot and found a lay-by just passed the entrance to the reservoir for TOAL. It was pretty windy at 100m, so I just took the mini 3 Pro straight up with Strong Wind warnings pinging me every few seconds! Took my pictures and brought it back down. It landed exactly, where it took off despite the wind; awsome little drone despite its light weight. The reservoir is a really nice place to walk round by the looks of it, but if your not an NT member the carpark fee is extortionate!

It’s good that the two are in agreement - since Drone Scene gets the NT info from … the NT. :wink:

1 Like

50k OS maps show NT boundaries. Foremark doesn’t show and NT marks at all. Unlike Calke Abbey not far away.

Further confirmation that it is owned by the Water board but run by NT. I suspected before I visited that they would plaster the site with a plethora of No Drones signs but went anyway!

My question would be is it still covered by the NT by-law given that its not owned by them?:thinking:

Don’t forget for example the likes of the Crown Estate do list a caveat on their website for land they own that is leased to other organisations…

" On occasions, third parties such as Government agencies or local authorities may restrict the flying of UAD’s on Crown Estate land. We therefore recommend checking with the appropriate authority to ensure that no such restrictions are in place. "

There could be a similar agreement in place?

I agree. Checking is good, :+1:, which is why I checked on the NT map before I went. There is no generic By-law for the Water Board or the Council area as far as I can ascertain, and their website suggests the NT is managing the Park on their behalf (hence why its prob’ not on NT map ownership or lease).

Waste of time contacting NT direct they would just say ‘you cant fly’ period!

I did err on the safe side and took off outside the Reservoir boundary but just wondered if NT had any ‘teeth’ with regard to enforcement?