National Trust Wray Castle, Ambleside

Wray Castle, a Lake District mansion.

Wray Castle is a charming Grade II listed Victorian neo-gothic mansion located in the Lake District, Cumbria, and England. It’s situated on the western shore of Lake Windermere, offering stunning views of the surrounding landscape. The castle, along with the adjacent church was built as a private residence in the 1840s for James Dawson, a retired Liverpool surgeon.
Despite its stronghold appearance it was never intended as a defensive fortification and therefore lacks many typical castle like characteristics. Instead, it served as a holiday home for the Dawson family. After James’ death in 1875 the estate was inherited by his fifteen year old nephew, Edward Preston Rawnsley. In 1877 Edward’s cousin, Hardwicke Rawnsley, took up the appointment of vicar of Wray Church. To protect the countryside from damaging development, Hardwicke, acting on a notion conceived by John Ruskin, developed the idea of a National Trust that could buy and preserve places of natural beauty and historic interest for the nation.
In 1882, when Beatrix Potter was just 16 years old, her family rented Wray Castle for their summer holiday. This visit is said to have inspired Beatrix’s love for the Lake District, and it marked the beginning of her deep affection for the region. She eventually settled in the Lake District and purchased Hill Top Farm in Near Sawrey. It is said that the landscapes and surroundings of the Lake District, including her memories of Wray Castle, greatly influenced her work as a renowned author and illustrator, creating beloved children’s books such as "The Tale of Peter Rabbit.”
In 1929 Wray Castle, along with 64 acres of land, were given to the National Trust by Sir Noton and Lady Barclay, the owners at that time. Since then, the castle has been used for a variety of purposes, such as a youth hostel, and from 1931 it housed the offices of the Freshwater Biological Association. From 1958 to 1998 it became a training college for Merchant Navy radio officers and was known as RMS Wray Castle).
In 2011 the National Trust proposed to lease the property stripped of its furnishings, for use as a hotel, but instead opened it to the public during the visitor season that year. High visitor numbers meant that the property had clear potential to be developed as a visitor attraction. In 2014 the Trust applied for retrospective planning permission to change the use of the listed building to visitor attraction and today, the public can explore its rooms, enjoy the beautiful grounds, and even participate in various family-friendly activities. The castle has a relaxed atmosphere, making it a delightful destination for those looking to experience the charm of the Lake District.

I was able to launch the DJI mini 3 Pro from a Public Path close to the Windermere Shoreline inside the National Trust Property boundary but from a public path whilst the castle was closed out of season. VLOS was maintained with the assistance of a spotter.

Drone Scene Link here

8 Likes

Spot on Colin.

Paul.

1 Like

@Bilbo Thx Paul. Not a real castle but squint and you could imagine what the ruins of many others would have looked like when first built. :hugs:

Great film. Did you have to get permission from National Trust to fly there?

1 Like

@Shane22 That’s a big fat no Shane! :wink: I make it a point not to have any contact with the NT on this matter as it’s totally pointless, unless of course you come up with a big fat cheque for filming, you will be unceremoniously rejected! That’s why I added caution to my DS entry.

I wait for a quiet period of the day mostly and nearly always after my visit (I’m a member of the NT), worst that can happen is they ask you to leave!

I usually TOAL from an OS marked public path, as in this case, or just outside their map boundaries (if its close enough).

As Rear Admiral Grace Hopper’s famous quote goes “It’s Easier to Ask Forgiveness Than It Is To Get Permission” and as they also say… without forgiveness life is governed by an endless cycle of resentment and retaliation! :innocent:

Follow the CAA guidelines, with maybe a few poetical adjustments, and fly safe. :+1:

2 Likes

I totally agree, thanks

1 Like

@Shane22 Glad someone does Shane, there are a few that don’t! :rofl::rofl:

What a fabulous and inspiring piece of work. I really loved the drone footage interlaced with the on-site footage and the professional look & feel of the presentation.

1 Like

@Aljebu Thx Allan much appreciated. :+1: and very kind of you to say. :blush:

I worked here for 12 months teaching radio officers in 1979. I was the only lecturer that didn’t live in and the drive up in winter could be horrendous.

Hi @Freeflyte, it looks as though you’re quite new here :wave:t2:

Why not nip over to the Introductions page, and say hello properly and tell us a bit about yourself. :+1:t2:

@Freeflyte I can imagine for sure, especially coming from the West like I did from Hill Top Cottage!