Naval War Memorial Portsmouth - Added to Monuments in South East

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission requirements unknown.

Portsmouth or Southsea Naval memorial on Southsea Common

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 02/08/2024. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

5 Likes

I want to fly here @grandad1950, have you got any other tips or advice?

Fly at a sensible distance from it as @grandad1950 has I have in the past. It bears the names of 24,652 of our fallen and should be given respect.

2 Likes

Can’t disagree with the respect thing, though last time I flew it, which was about 10 years ago I couldn’t resist flying straight up the main tower right next to it ! My visits to Southsea are quite sporadic, but I went EUCing (Electric unicycle) down there a couple of years ago, and visited it again, but saw several ‘no drones’ signs were up on the monument noticeboard and surrounding verges. Perhaps they are gone now ?

There was a FRZ present during the recent D Day celebrations, with several ‘ No Drone ‘ notices displayed around Southsea Common and on the seafront itself. However, these have been removed and no restrictions are ( currently ) in force. Totally agree with the comments regarding treating the War Memorial with respect…especially as members from my family are listed on there!

1 Like

It’s interesting that people seem to consider proximity somehow related to the amount of respect one has for the monument. I can quite see how it might be disrespectful to go ripping through the arches at 70 mph on some mad FPV rig, but a discrete, quiet little sub-250 ascending gently alongside the tower in order to show the wider public the very best views of it ? Not seeing the disrespect there, (presuming we have waited until the site is empty and there aren’t people obviously paying their respects)…

@AeroJ It’s a personal thing. Lots more on Flying over churches, rather than take this thread off topic. :+1:

2 Likes

I’ve flown here too @grandad1950 :grin:

1 Like