New DJI Smart Controller - Do I or don't I?

Cerimonial Garden Bonfire, then wait for the bang when battery goes !. :wink:

1 Like

Could be interesting… :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

How good is the smart controller? Is it worth another £400?

Moved your question here @Vennwood, loads of useful info on this thread ;o)

2 Likes

Yes I think so.

Thanks.
Pondering about getting a smart controller myself, but slightly put off as I never got on with the Android logic. Guess I have spent too long with IOS.
I feel like DJI treat us as Beta testers. I might just go for it anyway and see what happens.

Moved your post to this thread to limit the other thread to M2A firmware.

1 Like

It really has nothing (in the real world) to do with Android as you would see it on a phone, it’s just the system used to run the DJI apps on. I used to use IPads for flying for the big screens, but you need a powerful latest model to go forward with any certainty, used to get CPU warnings on my IPad Air all the time not powerful enough. Some are using IPad Mini but a decent one of those is pushing the cost of the SC so just decided I wanted a dedicated device to fly !! PLUS no faffing about with cables/phones/calls in middle of flights, but it is a smaller screen (But very bright).

1 Like

Hmm.

Huawei Mediapad M5 lite 8 = £130-£140. DJI Smart Controller = £579.

Tablet has a bigger screen and you can install any drone control apps you want it, use it to edit the downloaded photos, and access Grey Arrows, Drone Scene etc.

Tough choice :wink:

2 Likes

That’s exactly what I did and have to say it’s a excellent tablet and I would highly recommend it for both DJI apps also the screen recording is great and battery life is excellent.

1 Like

Can’t comment on it specifically for the MA2 (may need an adaptor mount), but it fits my M2Z controller (only just!). The main competition seems to be the iPad Mini, which is much more expensive.

I have a ipad mini 5 as well but I find it heavy and the battery life is not as good as the Huawei mediapad m5 lite 8 but it runs the apps great

I Have at present the original Mavic Air which I had now for 18 months . And enjoy every minute of it :+1:
I now fancy getting the MA2 . But also like to to have the DJI smart controller; I here a lot of if and buts. About the controller. just wondering if it worth buying to enhance my flying ! Any comments be welcome . Thank you
Steve ( with CofC certified )

Only you can answer that question :slight_smile:

You’ll not find a single owner that will say “no”, for obvious reasons.

I’ve moved your question to this active thread I found on the very same subject.

This older thread may also help: Should I get a DJI Smart Controller or a CrystalSky?

Apart from the cost and that they seem to be out of stock nearly everywhere, can anyone give me any pointers why you wouldn’t recommend the smart controller?
I wondered about the weight (after standard controller + Moto G7 power?)
Also would hope I wouldn’t get the frequent crashing of the dji fly app that I get on standard controller + smart phone?(Have tried all hints mentioned on forum)
Thanks for any ideas/ recommendations.

personally I won’t be getting one as the cost is high, its been out now for ages I think about 3 years but don’t quote me but its old in DJI terms and they are very very slow to release updates for it. everybody seems to think a new one is on its way and I cannot help but wonder if making the old one compatable with the mini 2 is a good way to clear old stock or just milk the market before the new one comes out , the main thing for me has been the lack of updates that’s put me off so far.

Thanks for that info.:slightly_smiling_face:

The last update for the SC and the Mini 2 gave you the facility to plug the DJI Goggles into the HDMI port, switch the Mini 2 over to FPV mode and give it some like the FPV nutters do (you know who you are). Must try it this weekend!
Yes they are expensive, but the screen brightness, and the fact you can use it with 6 types of drone (M2, MA2, A2S, M2P, M2Z, P4P v2.0), makes it worthwhile.

1 Like

:+1:t2:

Don’t buy on the strength of that, it’s a very tame experience.

Buy a TinyHawk for a 5th of the cost of the smart controller goggle combo, you’ll get more fun out of it