New Member - First Public outing

Went to Yorkshire this last weekend. This video is the result of a nice afternoon near Kirkham Abbey. Its English Heritage controlled but it was shut at the time. I was on a public footpath the other side of the river. The video isnt particularly good or cinematic but it is my first attempt at flying apart from my garden and a couple of circuits around the Jubilee River in Windsor. Please feel free to constructively criticize and also suggest good free or cheap editing software.
Cheers

6 Likes

I have seen lots of folk on here recommending DaVincci Resolve. The functionality offered by the free version seems to be more than enough for most people, so it might be worth giving that a go?

1 Like

Davinci Resolve is hard to learn when when you get to grips with the basics it’s brilliant there are plenty of great tutorials on you tube for DR

1 Like

Another thumbs up for DaVinci Resolve, highly recommend it.

1 Like

Hi really like the video. I’d slow down your rotation on pan shots as they were a little quick but other than that a great piece of work. Take your time, use slow movement s and steady reveals and enjoy the experience.
Happy Flying

1 Like

Hi Myleene,

Agreed. :slight_smile:

But it’s a brave first attempt - flying over and across water/ Nobody produces a masterpiece first off and there is a hell of a lot to think about. Take every chance you can to become proficient at flying.

The reason I say that is the first thing that struck me was the opening rising shot - great, going for a reveal, But then you stopped then moved forward rather than rising and going forward in one motion. Once you are more in tune with your aircraft things will become a lot smoother, more fluid.

Hesitancy is the next thing - you didn’t seem to have specific target in mind and occasionally moved from one shot to another and back. It helps to look at Google Earth or similar before visiting a site and have an idea of the shots you want to capture.

Pans. Tend never to look that good and, unless for a specific reason, not good at speed. A simple tracking shot is better.

(You did ask for constructive criticism and everything I’m saying is to try and help. We have all been at the beginning of a career at some point)

Best way to learn is to do. For sure look at other peoples videos, subscribe to some YouTube channels (Drone Film Guide seems a good starting point) but practice your flying, take videos and photos - you can always discard them but they will show you later how much you have progressed.

And editing obviously helps. Resolve is a good piece of kit and it is free. It has a really hectic learning curve and runs best on high spec hardware. I am just getting into it and it really is like using an MRI and CAT scan suite to check if I’ve got a broken nail - for the simple cut and fade in and out that I do.

I’m not up to speed on Windows software being primarily a Linus user where free software tends to be the norm. If Kdenlive, OpenShot or Shotwell show in Google as having a Windows version then grab it, they are ideal for editing without a major overhead in resources or teaching yourself how to use them.

Looking forward to the next video from you!

PS - take time to look at the Birthday Treasure Hunt Competition and enter - there’s a month to plan take and submit shots of the various items you need to find so why not give it awhirl

1 Like

Hi and welcome to GADC @Myleene

Are you on Mac or PC, if Mac have a look at iMovie, its free and very easy to find your way around and is a good grounding to moving onto more ‘sophisticated’ editors like Resolve or FCPX. You can even get very good results with the DJIGO editor just using your phone or tablet.

As for the video, try have a plan in mind. Make it a story with a beginning, middle and end. Also think about your clip length, work on 5-10 seconds before transitioning into another, pans etc come with practice. Most of all try hold your viewers interest, your first clip was nearly 4 minutes long and people lose interest quickly, there were some good shots in there that could have been trimmed down to less than a minute and still shown us the same.

Hope that wasn’t too harsh, it was a really good first bash flying out in the ‘wild’

Another recommendation for Davinci Resolve here. They have an excellent set of pdf based tutorials with accompanying media on their website. You should be up and editing in no time.

1 Like

For first flight this is brilliant. Once you get the hang of flying things will smooth out. Then there is alway editing. My first flight lasted 3 minutes cause it was windy so chickened out my next flight was near a coast abroad with crazy winds lol managed to fly the bird and then bring it home in one piece. Had seaguls trying to say hello and all sorts.

Looking forward to see your next attempt :slight_smile:

Hi,

I am new on here too and have no doubt you will get some really useful help. Just browsing through various posts you can pick ideas and also looking at other folks stuff on you tube will give some ideas.

I live about 5 miles from Kirkham Abbey, but have not flown there yet. Usually too many Peoplee, but Iam thinking I will have a cycle over one evening when the tourists have left.

I have just tried a trial of cyberlink 365, probably more than I will ever need, but I have found it quite intuative to use so far. After the trial finished I did subscribe so we’ll see.
I have nearly finished editing my first video to add here, but time is against me at the moment.

1 Like

Thank you - others have recommended it to in their replies so I will definitely investigate it shortly after I have said thank you to everyone on here.

Thank you, I will be investigating it shortly.

Hi Mr G - thanks for taking the time to comment and I will try and take things a little slower next time. Cheers

Thanks for taking to time to watch the video and give some feedback - it will all be taken on board. I did almost lose the drone at one point against the trees it was just about invisible and had to use RTH button to find it again. No doubt as you say it will all come with practice - Thanks again.

1 Like

Hello there, thanks for taking the time to watch the flight and leave a post - things can only get better as they say!

Hi there, if you do get the opportunity to go over then I would. It was lovely and if you go late evening there wont be many people around and you may get a nice late evening shot. The people we did speak to were all very friendly and supportive - also the place seems to be shut at the moment so you wont get any hassle from English Heritage. I would like to see your shot when you have done it. Thanks and regards.

Hi there - thanks for watching the clip and criticizing it - no you weren’t too harsh - I am no shrinking violet and I want genuine helpful criticism - hopefully next flight will improve marginally. Kindest regards.

1 Like

Hi, practice makes perfect they say so just keep at it and you will soon master the techniques. Great first try though. Have a look at LumaFusion for iPad, it’s not a complex as Resolve so is fairly easy to learn and work with.