New Member - First Public outing

Hi Myleene,

Agreed. :slight_smile:

But it’s a brave first attempt - flying over and across water/ Nobody produces a masterpiece first off and there is a hell of a lot to think about. Take every chance you can to become proficient at flying.

The reason I say that is the first thing that struck me was the opening rising shot - great, going for a reveal, But then you stopped then moved forward rather than rising and going forward in one motion. Once you are more in tune with your aircraft things will become a lot smoother, more fluid.

Hesitancy is the next thing - you didn’t seem to have specific target in mind and occasionally moved from one shot to another and back. It helps to look at Google Earth or similar before visiting a site and have an idea of the shots you want to capture.

Pans. Tend never to look that good and, unless for a specific reason, not good at speed. A simple tracking shot is better.

(You did ask for constructive criticism and everything I’m saying is to try and help. We have all been at the beginning of a career at some point)

Best way to learn is to do. For sure look at other peoples videos, subscribe to some YouTube channels (Drone Film Guide seems a good starting point) but practice your flying, take videos and photos - you can always discard them but they will show you later how much you have progressed.

And editing obviously helps. Resolve is a good piece of kit and it is free. It has a really hectic learning curve and runs best on high spec hardware. I am just getting into it and it really is like using an MRI and CAT scan suite to check if I’ve got a broken nail - for the simple cut and fade in and out that I do.

I’m not up to speed on Windows software being primarily a Linus user where free software tends to be the norm. If Kdenlive, OpenShot or Shotwell show in Google as having a Windows version then grab it, they are ideal for editing without a major overhead in resources or teaching yourself how to use them.

Looking forward to the next video from you!

PS - take time to look at the Birthday Treasure Hunt Competition and enter - there’s a month to plan take and submit shots of the various items you need to find so why not give it awhirl

1 Like