Newbie from Rugeley, Staffordshire

Hello Garry, the only time i was aproched by a forest worker was a few weeks ago, I was checking my drone gear to see if all was ok with it, i had my drone and controler on the forest ground and some walkers waiked by and saw it and i reckon asumed i was going to fly in a buisy place which was not the case, and they must have rang the forest head quarters. A short while later a forest walker walked past me whent a little way down the track then doubled back. He then aproached me and explains that i could not fly there. I explained that i was not flying and had not done so that day, I did ask him where on cannock chase i could fly and he said i couldnt fly anywhere on or over the chase because of elf and safety. I did point out to him that there were no signs setup to inform people of this. Its such a great shame that health and safety comes into play when given how large cannock chase his and how easly it is for a pilot to keep well away from any one or the animals and not be a problam to any one. I did check out the foresty policy page and yes its true what the young man had said. so like you i felt gutted about the hole thing.

This is very annoying - Health & Safety a joke you stand more chance of being knocked over by a mountain bike than a drone falling out of sky on your head, I have lost count on how many times I have had a near miss being hit by a bike walking the dog, also I am not likely to have a personal accident flying a drone yet cyclists are forever having accidents and costing NHS money in some cases the air ambulance has been called costing ££££’s they need to put this into perspective and I am considering talking to my local MP about this. I also believe that so long as you take off and land from a public car park or road they cannot stop you from flying over the forest but not 100% sure as there are conflicting reports.

1 Like

yes i agree Garry regards to the bike problam, as that very day that the forestry worker came over to me a short while later i wittnessed a speeding mountain biker near miss along the track very neraly coming in contact with a little toddler who was walking near to his mother, the child could have only been about 3 years old, i thought at that moment if that child wondered a little to his left there would have been bad accident i was shore. I dont think drones are a problam in reality as long as pilots use common sence.

Be interesting to find out if Cyclists have PLI or any insurance, I think I will continue to fly plenty of places where there are no walkers and take the chance if caught gives me the opportunity to argue the case

2 Likes

i must agree i feel the same given how isolated some spots are, it wouldnt be so dad if they had set up deignated aries on the chase for drones where we can just hover over that spot, as thats all i do taking still photos from the video.

1 Like

I have sent an email to Forestry England asking for permission to fly within Cannock Chase.

I explained that I am wanting to fly in remote areas, away from public interactions and fly within the parameters set out within the ‘Drone Code’, whilst being mindful, responsible and respectful of others. I went on to justify why I and other drone users should be able to fly within the Cannock Chase, a public place, a place for everyone to enjoy from the all the cyclists and walkers to the low percentage drone flyer. I also explained the fact that cyclists are more of a danger to the public and have no/far less restrictions imposed on them.

Lets wait and see what comes of it… i was told this morning its been passed on to a department that can assist.

Watch this space.

2 Likes

Seems to me that when a good spot is found, some busy body says NO! These people need to move with the times and realise drones are here to stay.

1 Like

Hi all,

Well… I’ve had a reply from Forestry England with a response explaining that due to the CRoW Act, it is very difficult to maintain the rules of the CAA Done code so they do not permit the use of UAV/Drones for recreational purposes.

I responded by asking under which section they do not allow me to fly my drone… I’ll keep you updated.

4 Likes

well wrriten Sir, and thanks for keeping us all in the loop and trying to get them to see sence, i am shore we all appreciate your efforts.

1 Like

Of course, we all know what Forest England’s issue is …. they can’t see the wood for the trees. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

I believe the CRoW includes The freedom to roam , or " everyman’s right ", is the general public’s right to access certain public or privately owned land, lakes, and rivers for recreation and exercise. The right is sometimes called the right of public access to the wilderness or the " right to roam ". surely flying a UAV is recreational along with recreational mountain biking interesting @TunaSimon what reply they come up with.

2 Likes