Newbie from Rugeley, Staffordshire

Morning all.

I’m Chris from Rugeley, recently bought my first drone (DJI Spark) and have managed to get it out an about a few times.

Looking for people in the area, good flying spots and some advice.

Hope to see you around.

Chris

3 Likes

Hi Chris / @cwwainwright , and welcome to GADC. :+1:

A large number of members also own the Spark, so you’re in good company.

There’s a wealth of knowledge amongst the members, so ask away over on #questions-and-answers if there’s anything you need to know.

If you haven’t already, take a look at the Map of Members and you’ll see there are a few other members in your neck of the wood, some of whom I’m sure will come and say Hi.

Also, if you’ve not seen it, check out our map of places where members have flown in the past … which, obviously, doesn’t necessarily mean they are still OK to fly and, as always, any pilot needs to check that everything’s OK before flying at any of them.

Welcome aboard!

Hi Chris welcome to the club I have a Spark and a mavic platinum drone. Live in Portsmouth UK.

Welcome to the best UK forum in existance

1 Like

Hi Chris, Simon here just saying hello, i myself am from Rugeley and i have been flying now for about 4 years, currently flying the DJI Mavic range. But not flown for a few weeks. Last time i flew was on cannock chase but have found out that flying drones on the chase is forbiden, which is a great shame given out much open space there is. Anyway welcome to this group and i have only been on here for a month or so myself. :grin:

2 Likes

Welcome both @cwwainwright and @TunaSimon to Grey Arrows :smiley:

1 Like

cheers:+1:

:sunglasses::+1:

Hi Chris
Welcome to our madhouse
happy flying

Hi Chris and welcome I have a Mavic 2 Zoom and Parrot Anafi, I live in Cannock and fly regularly on Cannock Chase maybe see you sometime

1 Like

Welcome Chris
:wave:

Hi Simon, I have been flying regularly on the Chase and never experienced any issues at all, however like you I have also heard that it is forbidden seems to be some conflicting reports, when I first started in October I asked a warden in the German Cemetery and he said it is not problem so long as necessary insurance is in place and you abide by the rules, I have emailed the forestry commission for clarification, have you had any formal info on this ?

1 Like

Hi all. Thank you for all the welcomes.

I too have heard that the Chase is out of bounds. The police used their the other week.

I would like to fly over the Commonwealth Cemetery, such a beautiful place.

Do you meet up with local drone users?

2 Likes

yes we did regularly meet at cemetery and film down quarry we have never had any issues, anyway I have emailed forestry commission for clarification

2 Likes

Reply from forestry commission, so thats my hobby finished with well not so often anyway thing is until it was reported in press about police using drones to catch bikers we did not know about this there is nothing on Cannock forestry commission about this #gutted

Some paperwork from Phantom flight school i found interesting

3 Likes

here endeth the lesson !.
AMEN Mr Forestry Commision

Interesting so in theory if there is a public car park I can take off and land from there and fly over the forrest land providing I follow CAA rules, TBH this is getting ridiculous Cannock Chase is well known for Mountain Bike trails and forestry commission advertise this on there website I have almost been knocked over by the bikes many times as some of those are reckless and inconsiderate by not warning you they are approaching more chance of getting hit by one of those than a drone falling out of sky on your head just feel like jacking it all in the only reason I spent £2000 on drones was to go fly and relax only 5 minutes away it was perfect ##feelingdemoralised

I would just go for it, anyway who the hell is gonna find you !!

1 Like

As a newbie who has not as yet encountered any negatives with my drone I am soaking up all the posts regards the ‘how-toos’ of dealing with less than ideal situations & taking note of the advice from experienced members who have had to deal with such issues. My take is that if you are following all the rules & regulations then you have the morale high-ground on your side from the ‘get-go’ also as some of the public seem to think they now have a right to proffer their attitude in your space/face then we have the right to proffer a return in kind. I’m not advocating aggressive responses but the need to develop & hone a more confident stance knowing you are in the right legally. In time the general public will eventually accept drones as part of outdoor activities ( not all of course) just as we all accept change when something new comes along.

3 Likes