Newbie introduction to Drone flying Acronyms

Total newb, sorry if this is already done but search didn’t find much in search results.

Am reading many many posts on here trying to sponge up useful information, one thing I’m finding is the ton of uses of various acronyms and not having a clue that they stand for. Over time I’ll no doubt use them myself, but as a newb, maybe it would be useful to have an Acronyms thread so people like me can understand what some of these things mean which after a while is obvious!

E.g. I’m assuming TOAL means take off and land? But I’d hate to make an assumption?

TOLP on the other hand little stumped but have only seen it mentioned twice when I searched.

Any others that get used all the time, and may not be as obvious as you’d like to think to a newbie?

1 Like

Take Off and Landing Point?

DMARES - Drone and Model Aircraft Registration Scheme - the CAA online test you need for an operator or flyer ID.

A2CofC - A2 Certificate of Competence, next stage up from DMARES, allows less restrictive flying of aircraft over 250grams

I’m sitting on a swivel office chair, turning around and staring at the five drones that are out of their cases and trying to spot anything acronymic on them. And failing!

The best thing to do is what you have already done - if something needs an explanation - ASK!

None of us here were born with the knowledge we now have, we all started from scratch so are happy to pass on any information that may be helpful. :slight_smile:

Welcome to GADC

4 Likes

Grey Arrows Drone Club :wink:

3 Likes

TYFFT

Thank you for fixing that

…and the 1940’s TTFN… Ta Ta for Now… :rofl:

1 Like

CICMD you’ll see a hell of a lot of on Facebook, Thankfully not very often on here.

‘Crap I Crashed My Drone’

2 Likes

RTF Competition

The Reason To Fly Photo and Video Competition.

Every 14 Days a new competition starts with the subject chosen by popular vote. At the end of the fortnight the resulting images are voted on by GADC members. The image with the most votes is declared the winner, as no entry fee is paid the prize to the winning pilot is Sweet FA. Congratualtions all round. A new competition begins …

The current competition:
https://greyarro.ws/t/rtf-photo-competition-open-04-07-to-17-07-crops/33808

Still time to vote for the winner of the last competition:
https://greyarro.ws/t/rtf-photo-competition-june-20-to-july-03-straight-down-scroll-down-to-vote/33279/41

All entries welcomed! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nothing worse that TLAs!

You may find the UASOUKAMGA helpful.

2 Likes

for @firstadekit

TLA

Three Letter Acronyms
:joy: :joy:

That’s awesome. Thanks

1 Like

So RTFM! :joy: :joy: