Non-drone video: advice required for new camera and editing mismatching footage

I know this somewhat repeats other threads, but for my sanity I’m trying to keep my ramblings on this topic in one place:

I am looking to get a handheld camera to supplement my drone footage and am really having a headache choosing.

Use case:

• Handheld footage exploring locations to cut with drone footage
  • Vlogs for my next job which will be a mix of me standing in one spot (using a tripod) and some of me walking on location while talking to the viewer.
  • ‘mild’ action, i.e. setting up the camera in an area where people will be working over a period of time, or me and other subjects while doing activities.

Consideration:

• I am strongly leaning towards a 360 camera as this will mean when I am vlogging or even when capturing people at work, I don’t need to focus on framing. Also means I can set the camera up in one place on a tripod and capture everything going on around the camera. It can also capture super wide angle scenes.
  • Therefore, my leading contender right now is the “insta360 1 inch 360 edition” as it appears to be the ONLY 360 camera that has even half decent quality. The downside being that it isn’t waterproof.
    ***Advice here needed on camera choice - would this work? Should I be seriously considering something else? I did also consider the DJI Pocket with it’s active track ability and far superior quality.

Technical questions:

• Obviously 360 footage made ‘flat’ isn’t going to be 4K. More like 2k I believe?
  • The Insta360 I believe also only records at 24fps at the highest resolution, or 30fps at a slightly reduced resolution.
    ****Can I record on my drone at 4K 60fps or 4K 48fps and easily mix with footage shot at a lower FPS? I figure that keeping the source footage at multiples of each other would probably help. Presumably the resolution isn’t an issue and it will simply downscale the 4K drone footage to match the other cameras output footage?

Microphone:

• I would like the DJI wireless mic.
  • But the bracket that comes with the above mentioned camera appears to only natively support the Rode wireless mic (physical fitment).
    *Are the Rode Go mics any good? Otherwise how difficult would it be to record the audio off camera and align it in post if I can’t attach a DJI mic to the camera?
    ***** If I plug the mic in to the camera, am I limited to the bitrate that the camera natively records at?
1 Like

This was the appeal for me before I bought the Insta360 X3. It’s a fun bit of kit and if used properly can produce some unique footage.

I already had the DJI Pocket 2, which I was hoping I could sell. However, in my experience, the footage quality of the X3 could not compete with the Pocket 2, even when I shot in Single Lens mode at 4K30FPS. Whether you are in Single Lens mode or 360 mode, the image is stretched which results in a slightly more pixelated image.

I even contacted Insta360 about this, supplying sample videos of both the X3 and Pocket 2, both shot at 4K30FPS using the same subject. The comparison clearly showed the Pocket 2 to be the better quality. Yet their response was it was working as expected.

I also find the whole reframing in post tedious. Many folk say it’s easier using the phone app, but I use Insta Studio on the PC so I can then import directly to Adobe Premiere.

Which is what I mainly use now. Personally, I am considering selling my X3 because I am using it very little - and again, I am underwhelmed by the video quality. It’s up to you what you opt for, but if I had no vlogging camera, I’d opt for the Pocket 3 everytime.

I can’t speak for the 1 inch 360 edition, but my X3 records up to 4K30FPS in Single Lens mode, or 5.7K30FPS in 360 mode.

I think the 1 inch 360 is water resistant. My X3 is waterproof but I’ve never used it underwater.

Yes, I do this all the time, adding a mixture of different drone’s footage, plus the X3 and the Pocket 2 … all on one timeline. In Premiere Pro, it will default to the FPS of the clip you add first.

Yes, they are fantastic. You can get the bracket for the X3, not sure about the 1 inch 360. I can’t comment on the DJI mics, but I have heard they are also very good.

Thanks, that’s really helpful. Particularly about the rode mics as they do make a bracket for the 1 inch so at least I know it’ll definitely fit without hassle.

If the X3 was better quality, do you think you’d use it more?
Looking at side by side comparison, the 1 inch is night and day difference from the x3. Still nowhere as good as the pocket of course.

Do you do any blogging with the pocket? I do like the appeal of not worrying about framing, but that quality is very appealing to me.

Definitely. I do still use it when I want to grab those unique 360 shots, e.g. using a mag mount on the roof or side of my car, attaching it to my ebike, etc. But my main goto is the Pocket 2, as the quality is priority to me.

Yes, the 1 inch is better quality than the X3, for sure. But it’s also £800, about £350 more than the X3. My Pocket 2 Creator Combo was around £450 I think. Whereas the new Pocket 3 Creator Combo retails for about £600.

I use the Pocket 2 for all my videos, where I am taking to the camera. I comes with it’s own wireless mic, which is excellent. But not to be confused with the standalone DJI Mic.

1 Like

Another consideration when considering an Insta360 camera is the durability factor. Due to their fisheye lenses, you need to be extra careful with them. Whilst filming my box trailer build, I had the X3 on the insta tripod and selfie stick. It fell over landing on the concrete floor.

Sods law, since then, I’ve seen that you can buy lens protection covers for the X3. Insta360 want $116.99 USD to repair it. I will try and polish out with some diamond compound first, and if that doesn’t work, it’ll be going in for repair.

In comparison, I have dropped my Pocket 2 many times. Yet there is no damage.

All definite food for thought.

The additional hassle in post editing is a worthy consideration…

1 Like

Yikes!

Interestingly, I actually thought the pocket would be less durable due to the moving parts.

1 Like

Yes, before I purchase it, I thought the same thing. But the whole assembly at the top is metal and the lens is recessed so very difficult to scratch or damage. I don’t have the Pocket 3, but I would imagine it is also metal.

Well this doesn’t really help narrow down at all…

The deciding factor is really based on your use case.

None of the above points are specifically require a 360, and can all be achieved using a Pocket 2 (or 3), and with better quality results.

Yet if you want to also …

Then go with the 360, as it can do both - albeit with a slight loss in quality.

The bottom line is that I have both the X3 and the Pocket 2 for a reason.

I suspect the correct answer is get both…

Is the active track generally pretty good while walking with the pocket on a selfie stick?

I did also like the idea of the 360 cam being able to hold the stick with my hand by my side so it didn’t look like I was holding a camera - would look more like having a camera man filming me which is probably a more natural look.

1 Like

Active Track is decent on the Pocket 2, but it’s meant to be even better on the Pocket 3. You can screw a selfie stick into the base of the Pocket 2 and 3, but it’s better if you get one of these so that it’s directly facing you. Personally I don’t use them, instead I find the additional wide angle lens is fine. It is closer than than a 360 on a selfie stick though.

That works fine if you are standing still. Depending on how far away you position your 360, it can look a little odd when you’re walking, as the arm that is holding the selfie stick is not moving, but your other arm is.

Very good points :thinking:

Also consider a mobile phone with a cage … Neewer and Rode Mics will fit…

I have Rode Mics and they work with the phone, and just got the Neewer CM28 mics and they plug straight into most phones with the plugs for lightning and USB-C, no extra cables needed like the Rode, and the sound is brilliant…

Else the DJI Pocket 3 is a good option albeit expensive… I have seen real VLOG footage and it is amazing. lastly think about the GoPro 12 with Media Mod, or a cheap cage to fit the Rode/Neewer Mics…

Price isn’t really the big concern for me…

It sounds like the Pocket really is a solid choice. Plus it would mean sticking with DJI throughout which shouldn’t make a huge difference, but at least all my customer support will be in one place.

I just hope I don’t end up spending too much time framing my footage.

Can the Pocket survive light rain like the Insta360 1 Inch 360 can? I’m not looking for submerging obviously, but if its raining outside I’ll still need to be able to vlog somewhat.