Normal Youtube uploads vs Shorts - should I do both?

Hi All,

I have been enjoying creating video’s of our drone flights, using DaVinci Resolve, I normally upload them to Youtube as a 4K upload, but was wondering, in the search for increased clicks and to promote our channel should I also do a second edit of each video in the YT Shorts format?

For those that dont know Shorts are in 1080x1920 f0rmat, and although my footage is filmed in andscape, it can usually be edited to portrait format without too much agro or loss of quality.

What do other folks do, stick to the 4K, or upload a Short as well, or just do Shorts? Is it worth the time and effort to add the shorts, or am I just diluting the visits into 2 separate video’s instead of one 4K?

I have tried a couple of edits, these below are the first ones…

1 Like

In my opinion, if you’re happy to do both then the potential extra attention is worth the effort. I have definitely taken an interest in a channel from seeing a random short appear in my YT front page. Just be careful of length, 30 seconds to a minute are good. Most may not even make it past the 30 second mark :confused:

1 Like

@AlbionDrones Suzanne
For what it’s worth, bearing in mind I know Jack S**t about much stuff, I tend to watch more shorts than i watch ‘regular’ videos on YT. from the Shorts, i can veer off onto regular offerings.

1 Like

@AlbionDrones I use shorts as a 15s promo Suzanne using the remix option of my vids (as long as you’ve not used copyrighted media in your full length video).

At the moment I couldn’t be bothered to do a proper edited short even though I’m sure a good quality one would help the channel. I’ve got little or no chance of monetising my channel and as I do this for fun its just nice to have the fruits of your labour appreciated by others and to use their feedback to improve. :+1:

There is no doubt that shorts used wisely will help promote your channel, so go for it. :+1:

1 Like

Thanks for the swift replies, @D0c.Col , @RestlessZombi and @Speedbird

Well, as I am now running out of footage to edit - from the Orkney trip - and the weather isnt good for flying atm - and our Skye trip is still 12 weeks away - perhaps spending some time editing some Shorts versions will help keep my hand in and any extra editing practice can’t be a bad thing…

I shall give it a go, and see what it brings - if anything.

I am not bothered about monetizing the channel - I am at 218 Subscriptions in 10 months and a 1000 hrs of viewing, so a loooong way from any chance to monetize, but it would be nice to have more folks see the stuff I am creating…

You need to look to other socials to increase your traffic , do you use insta or tiktok ?

Not as yet… I have an Insta account, but trying to post things to it is impossible, has to be uploaded form phone and cant share video from YT… The Video files are processed on hubbys computer, and he is logged into his Social media, whereas my accounts are on my work computer and it isnt powerful enough for editing or even file storage…

Unless I am doing something wrong?

You can upload to Instagram from the web now - log into your account and click the [+] button on the left and drag your film to the upload screen there. There may be size/length and resolution constraints, but if they work for Shorts I would have thought they’d be OK on IG. If you don’t have different accounts on the computer, could you use different browsers and sign into your IG account without logging out your husband?

Just an idea, which may or may not work for you:

My wife and I have our own accounts on our best computer. When I log on I get my emails and files, web browser tabs and social media accounts, and likewise she gets her own. We can still share files (via Dropbox, email, shared area on the computer’s disk, etc). It’s not a privacy thing because we know each other’s password.

Insta lets you add multiple accounts, I am always logged into mine, works and GADC and switch quickly between the 3 (use account centre to add multiple accounts)

Have a read about good tagging practice, both for youtube and Insta

Ultimate Guide to YouTube Hashtags and How to Use Them.

1 Like

Just wondering - and I don’t put any video out on the web - but is there any point to uploading 4k to YouTube? Does yt stream it in 4k? How many viewers will see it in 4k?

1 Like

Sure does :wink:

Anyone on a smart TV or half decent screen will watch in 4K

1 Like

Yup, I stream YT onto our 55" 4K UHD HDR LG TV all the time, and it is quite amazing, can really tell the diference when its not in 4k now…

1 Like

OK, thanks. Interesting. Something for me to try.

@AlbionDrones Just been looking at my analytics on my channel Suzanne and 21% of my views for the last 28 days were from my remix Shorts feed (takes less than 5 mins to do a promo from an existing vid) ) so hopefully you should at least see a similar increase in your channel views :+1:

1 Like

Do both.

The shorts can at least be used also on TikTok and Instagram or even Twitter (Sorry I mean X of this morning)

My only grumble is all these platforms have various rights with various copyright holders of music. Even if you think you’re using something in the creative commons, you can still get a copyright strike on one platform and not the others. So don’t be surprised if you have to use different soundtracks on different platforms. I generally stick to whatever they offer rather than trying to cut the music into the final edit and then just posting. Sometimes because people are weird, you can get a whole lot more ‘hits’ just because of the soundtrack and if it’s properly linked, then all good, just means you can’t use cut to the beat type edits for everything unless you really want to fart about except for your ‘long over 60 seconds edit’ for proper YouTube.

Unless there’s also actually a story to be told and a narrative, people’s attention spans are awful, I don’t post tons on YouTube but looking at my dashboard people rarely go beyond 3 minutes before clicking off to something else.

1 Like

My take on this … having been really frustrated by a Short this afternoon.

Fundamentally, I consider that if something’s really worth watching - it should be watched on a proper TV screen. No phone/tablet can properly immerse you into something that’s good.

So - my geriatric TV (well, not really the TV that’s totally dumb - but the Freeview box that’s moderately compos mentis) which supports YT casting - it doesn’t cast Shorts.

So for excellent (quality or content) YTs I turn on the TV and cast them to it (via the box) from the YT app on my phone. If, whilst my app is open, I see a Short of any interest … I skip past it, and look for any other normal YTs in my Subscriptions that look to be worth watching, and queue them up.

That’s it … Shorts don’t get watched, 99% of the time.

And THEN (like 10 mins ago) I get a notification for a frigging excellent short … that should be a proper YT just for its quality and content … and all I can do is watch a silly small version on my phone, or a slightly less silly small version on my laptop (that I’m normally doing other things on and rarely watch YTs at all).

So, at best I find Shorts bloody frustrating … and the vast majority are just annoying lazy uploads.

A bit the same with Instagram reals … and today I actually pleaded with an originator to do a proper YT edit … because that’s what it deserves.

Short Rant (:wink:) over.

1 Like

I’ve kind of got over the vertical/horizontal thing although there is one channel I sub too now that even makes the longer videos in vertical format and that DOES do my head in!! Although in all fairness the channel is aimed at smartphone apps.

Something annoying they’ve changed with the subscriptions page this week is that shorts used to just be bundled in with normal videos in chronological order. Now they’ve sectioned them out into their own row and it’s really not easy to tell which ones you’ve seen or not. I’m far more likely to glance past them now as most people don’t put a proper cover and now the description is gone too. Hopefully they sort it out as I suspect shorts on YT have took a nosedive this week.

I peruse them on the phone then use my history to watch them on the tv. I have found several decent channels to watch their full content this way. I think they are good for channel promos but i do get your frustration. I guess it really comes down to how much you want to increase your content viewers (if at all) … Horses for courses I guess.

I can’t. If i open the app it’s to cast a decent YT to the TV, whilst it’s casting you can’t watch shorts. I queue up any other decent videos and put down the phone. So there’s no time to see shorts … even were there any worth watching … which, historically, there have very rarely been, so there’s no invective.