North West 2nd Informal Drone Meet and Fly...Saturday 7th and Sunday 8th October - WIGG ISLAND - 9AM

Hi All,

After the success of the Sunday afternoon meet today - once we managed to find a time that it wasnt raining (it is Manchester area afterall) - we are now organising the Meet up for next Sunday morning, to allow thoise who couldnt make it today to attend…

The location today was good, however the path was muddy, so we can revisit Sow Brook Park in Lymm, or we can go elsewhere, happy to accept suggestions and then put it to a vote. Looking at 9am on Sunday the 8th, please add your suggestions as replies and we can then get a poll up…

Suggestions#

Sow Brook Park - Lymm - where we flew today
Wigg Island, Runcorn - flying over the Mersey between the 2 Bridges
Beacon Park, Wigan - disused golf course
Carrington Moss - gas burnoff tower
Other options - suggest in the chat please…

Pop your suggestions in by Tuesday 6pm and I will pop a poll up, then we can decide for Wendesday evening…

EDIT - No further suggestions forthcoming and with most liking the look of Wigg Island we will forego the Poll and go for the Mersey Bridges from Wigg Island.

Park in the Car Park and then walk west along the shore front…

9AM until lunchtime… Poll for attendance lower in the thread!

@group-northwest

3 Likes

I’d absolutely love to but don’t have transportation at the moment. Will keep an eye on future plans though :blush::+1:

1 Like

I’ll be there.
The weather is looking much better next weekend.
Wigg island is a great place to fly

3 Likes

Sorry I couldn’t make the afternoon.yesterday. I fancy Wigg Island for next Sunday.
Paul

3 Likes

Wigg Island looks interesting:
Note, airport not too far away (LHS)

Yeah, but as long as we don’t fly too far out over the other side of the Silver Jubilee bridge and Railway Bridge then we should be ok, and tbh if we are the other side of those bridges then we are probably pushing VLOS :wink:

So thats 3 for Wigg Island so far and the weather looks glorious for Sunday morning…

Anyone else got a location they fancy tring? Or a backup location if we get kicked off Wigg Island?

back to Lymm?
(sounds like I needed wellies?)

I did a search on Halton Borough Council and have not seen any reason why we cannot fly there (no bylaws, no SSSI’s etc)

Yeah that works… wellies or walking boots would be an idea, I had normal boots on and was sliding aorund, but feet were dry enough… Hopefully by Sunday it will all be dry anyway, 2 hot and sunny days this weekend, allegedly :wink:

Wigg Island looks good. Views of Fiddlers Ferry Power Station too, might be a bit of a walk, but it’s days are numbered, it’s being demolished.

2 Likes

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: … in the northwest!
it’s either raining, or it’s just finished or its just about to start…

We are happy for Wigg Island :slight_smile:

2 Likes

hmm… I have wondered about trying to dive one of the towers… not seen anyone give them a go yet… need to be quick though I suspect (sunrise sunday morning 07:30 :thinking: … )

wrights or marsh lane?

1 Like

All,
Do you not think an organised meet of 15-20 flyers so close to the airport is not ‘responsible’
I’m afraid I don’t and I won’t be coming :man_shrugging:

Your screen shot puts the FRZ around 600m away Steve?

And people are allowed to fly up to 0.000001m to the edge of the FRZ :person_shrugging:t2:

OK, I’ll shut up then Boss

I think you are all a bit out in the location… its about 3km from the end of the FRZ

1 Like

Take your point Steve, however I will be asking everyone to stay this side of the Jubilee Bridge, and we are limited to 400ft anyway, so we should be fine. Others have flown the site with no issue, I dont think anyone wants to put their drone or an aircraft at risk, amd we are not really within VLOS flight of the FRZ anyway. Would have been nice ot see you again, but I do respect your decision not to attend.

Please don’t :confused:

Share your concerns Steve mate?

Don’t forget that most people here fly DJI drones which means they’ll be further limited by DJI in terms of the altitude they can fly at.

If both CAA and DJI do not consider flying outside of a FRZ a risk, then neither should we.

1 Like

Totally agree, this is a grown up group. and all opinions are welcomed, I would rather smeone spoke out - which is often difficult to do - than kept silent and then regretted not speaking in the first place…

@Steviegeek please do continue to raise your concerns, a chance to think from anothers pov is always useful :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The DJI Limitation starts to kick in just the airport side of the Jubille Bridge… 60m i think at first, been a while since i flown around here