OK so you’ve got your A2CofC and Article 16!

Agree 100% ChrisM, that should be a given!

Agreed, I do have cover, but I would still very terrible if I was the cause of injuring someone.

2 Likes

It’s each to their own, many people do fly A3, and only A3

Statistically you’re more likely to injure someone one driving to your TOAL point

1 Like

If you want to fly over buildings and people then send it up high and with a well chosen TOAL point you can still maintain VLOS fot quit a distance, particularly if using strobes. Personally, I dont fly without VLOS but I enjoy watching others footage who have take the risk :rofl:
If you do decide to go long on urban runs etc then you might also benefit from doing sim’s of losing RC connection so as to prepare you for such an event. You would then know what do and be less likely to panic ( the cause of many incidents I suspect).There are, as eve,r, loads of YT videos on this! :+1:

This is good advice as lots more interference to the radio signal in built up areas. You certainly won’t fly as far as you can out in the countryside before you start getting weak signal warnings.

In Birmingham City Centre I’ve sometimes barely got 200 metres away and that’s from using a multi story as my TOAL point to increase height (mine not the drones 400ft ceiling, take height of carpark and decrease maximum height in app) and VLOS

Obviously using a multi story as a TOAL is a whole other subject with a bunch of other variables to consider so I won’t tangent this thread too much on that subject but like anything else it’s a call you make at the time and place on whether it’s safe to do so.

1 Like

Seems like a few questions. But below is what I do, others may not …

• Urban Areas - if we are taking about sub-250g, it is fine. Obviously, safety, privacy and common sense prevails. If the drone is not sub-250g, I wouldn’t risk it - see Good 2 Go for more info.
  • VLOS - If the target is >500m, I would normally mitigate the risk by using crees. But even these do not eliminate all risk, below or above 500m. If I am using my M2P (much heavier), the risk to uninvolved persons is obviously higher than if I were to use my Mini 2. I assess each flight first and decide what is the least risk. But equally, flying to a target, say 750m away, would not deter me if I believed the risk was acceptable (e.g. open countryside, no buildings, people, etc.)
  • Electronic/Mechanical failure - wouldn’t even consider it. Like others have said, there is as much chance (no doubt more) of the same applying to any other device (your phone stops working mid flight, someone hits your car on the way to TOAL, etc.). If I can’t trust my equipment, I cannot progress.
  • Bird Strikes - it’s nature. Unless you want to fly indoors, it’s just another risk you need to mitigate. E.g. the risk is greater when in the open countryside, greater still when in a nature reserve or in an area where birds are nesting.

Devil’s advocate - I am probably not the best person for advice. I take risks and am adventurous by nature. But to be clear, the risks I take are to the drone, and do not compromise the safety of people (other than myself) or animals.

2 Likes

I did mine in Feb this year… For me it just brings home the common sense aspect and it aligned with my respect for my kit and others… I mainly did it so I could fly where I felt like and use my investment…on my Air 2S and Mavic Pro… But I often use my Mini 2 for convenience sake…
Ultimately I think the course is there to just check you are using your brain… It gives more confidence in case a nosey Parker gets in your fun space because you can calmly give them facts.

I also saw a CAA consultation to extend legacy aircraft for and another year plus… So this is all even better news for my investment and effort

1 Like

Unless you want to fly A1

Thanks @milkmanchris , yes I know all that :blush:

Not intending to try my Air2S/Mavic Pro in A1, hence the ‘A2’ Cofc :relaxed:

2 Likes

The Good 2 go app is sufficient to remind us of where we can and cannot fly with any specific drone. I’m still a bit hesitant about flying over people especially populated areas with either my Mini 2 even though it says with my A2CofC and article 16.
Using my M2P I just use a bit of common sense and pre plan my flights

If you join FPV/UK for twenty pounds it also includes 5 million pounds of liability insurance job done get out there and take off safely.

1 Like

Yes a very worthwhile club, you can also take the online Article 16 test.

A few comments from my point of view which don’t seem to have been covered and may fill in some gaps. NB I have my A2CofC but mainly fly under Article 16.

• Article 16 does not allow flight in urban/built-up areas (yes, exception for recreational areas with risk assessment)

• Public liability insurance from FPV/UK and others is unlikely to cover you if you have not flown within the CAA rules eg crashed when beyond VLOS or flown in built-up areas with A16.

• Even though you can fly sub-250g drones over built-up/congested areas, I personally won’t unless I am confident they are deserted. CAP722 says “Legacy drones under 250g - It is accepted that UAS in this class may fly over uninvolved people (but not over assemblies of people). Flight over uninvolved people should be avoided whenever possible however, and extreme caution should still be used.”
    I don’t feel that flying over busy towns with people on the streets, regardless, complies with this.

Just my view and based on discussion during my A2CofC course.

2 Likes

Yes I agree, always keep on the right side of caution.

At least I’m not the only one thinking along the lines of not flying over populated areas, despite owning a sub 250g drone still don’t feel like its justified to fly over people just because the way people interpret the rules

1 Like

Hi, watch this video and it would be great to hear people’s thoughts on if you should carry your A2coc

https://youtu.be/fIVwBeaLTf4?si=nk__soQ8Cqvz3CFa