Old Phantom 2 - convert to something else? Mavic look-alike?

Hi,
I got a Phantom 2 about 5 years ago, and it’s just taking up space since I got my Mavic Air, so . . . .

any suggestions as to how I can “convert it” into something useful (racing drone ?) FPV

It has the zenmuse 3D gimball, video transmission, gopro Hero 3+, better TX and RX antenna, and a Black Pearl monitor. I’m rubbish with a soldering iron, but equally, I’m not stupid. I’ve also got one of the fancy bright yellow Peltor type boxes for it :slight_smile:

Cheers

1 Like

Change it into a Phanvic, there is a kit to change it into a Mavic look-a-like.
Search YouTube, should be still on there.
I have a link for the kit somewhere.
I seem to recall a kit for the Vision 2 and/or the Phantom 3.

1 Like
1 Like

I bought the kit a fair while back could not recall if it would convert the 2 and 3 .
Looking at the destruction manual it’s for the 3
Time to resurrect me think ,and get it done !.

Surprised it’s still avail !.
Found the manual, just need to find the fucking kit !.

It says it takes about 6 hours to convert.

2 Likes

It’d be a great winter project!

Before/inbetween/after photos of the build please :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks guys, will do !

Right, the question is, all the kits I found are for the P3, not the P2 - will this be an issue folks ?

Cheers

Right, the question is, I can find kits to convert a P3 to a Mavic lookalike (Phanvic) but none for the P2, which is the one I want to convert. Anyone know if this will be an issue ?

Cheers

Moved your latest post to your previous thread … since it’s fundamentally the same. :wink:

Changed the topic a little.

No problem, cheers

1 Like

Whist the kit, above, is for the P3 … did you investigate the potential to use it for the P2?
The two shells are (visually) pretty much the same, and whilst the internals will doubtless be different, I can’t imagine the size of the components will vary that much. Some minor modding might make it fit …. “adequately”.
I’ve an old P2 I could be interested in doing the same to …. at some point … so will be watching for any progress on this topic.

No, I haven’t gone into it in depth yet. I guess the biggest difference is the absence of a camera on the P2 (ie you add your own)

Yup. Different battery, too, slightly.
Like you, I have the H33D Zenmuse and GoPro for my P2 … but, now I have the MP, I tend to have only used the P2 without the camera for some fun “full manual” flying … and that might be the best reason to convert the P2 to a Mavic look-alike.

1 Like

So not bother with the camera ? Sounds like a plan

1 Like

Looking at the kit it, you could almost certainly fit a Phantom 2 Vision + into it as it is basically the same as the Phantom 3, including the battery holder.
I am lucky that I have both the 2 and the 3 ,so I could pick either.
To be honest I would choose to convert the 2, as it is the one I least fly now.
If that converted ok ,then I would do the 3.
The main difference is the 2 has no VPS system ,so that could throw the balance out of the machine !.
UUUmmm? , need to think about this !.

1 Like

There are 2 versions of the kit, Standard, and the adv/pro version.
I have the second, I am thinking of sending for the standard kit aswell, as I believe this would fit the P2V+ better.
There is a distinct place for the VPS Unit in this one, would be lost to what to put in its place otherwise.

If it’s a weight/balance issue, I guess I could add dummy weight to re balence ?

1 Like

Weight/balance isn’t that critical.

I have my H33D/GoPro mounted well forwards on an adapter plate (to avoid the old “props in video” problem) and it never gave me any issues.

I’ve also flown my Mavic Pro with a pair of LumeCubes … that probably has a far greater impact on balance/CoG. Other than avoiding a slow take-off … that too flies just fine once in the air and the IMU takes over.

1 Like

go on, you know you want to !.

2 Likes