Old Phantom 2 - convert to something else? Mavic look-alike?

Hi,
I got a Phantom 2 about 5 years ago, and it’s just taking up space since I got my Mavic Air, so . . . .

any suggestions as to how I can “convert it” into something useful (racing drone ?) FPV

It has the zenmuse 3D gimball, video transmission, gopro Hero 3+, better TX and RX antenna, and a Black Pearl monitor. I’m rubbish with a soldering iron, but equally, I’m not stupid. I’ve also got one of the fancy bright yellow Peltor type boxes for it :slight_smile:

Cheers

1 Like

Change it into a Phanvic, there is a kit to change it into a Mavic look-a-like.
Search YouTube, should be still on there.
I have a link for the kit somewhere.
I seem to recall a kit for the Vision 2 and/or the Phantom 3.

1 Like
1 Like

I bought the kit a fair while back could not recall if it would convert the 2 and 3 .
Looking at the destruction manual it’s for the 3
Time to resurrect me think ,and get it done !.

Surprised it’s still avail !.
Found the manual, just need to find the fucking kit !.

https://www.banggood.com/DJI-Phantom-3-DIY-Modified-Kit-To-DJI-Mavic-Pro-For-DJI-Phantom-3A3P3SE4K3S-Version-p-1236273.html?akmClientCountry=GB&ID=532653&cur_warehouse=CN
It says it takes about 6 hours to convert.

2 Likes

It’d be a great winter project!

Before/inbetween/after photos of the build please :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks guys, will do !

Right, the question is, all the kits I found are for the P3, not the P2 - will this be an issue folks ?

Cheers

Right, the question is, I can find kits to convert a P3 to a Mavic lookalike (Phanvic) but none for the P2, which is the one I want to convert. Anyone know if this will be an issue ?

Cheers

Moved your latest post to your previous thread … since it’s fundamentally the same. :wink:

Changed the topic a little.

No problem, cheers

1 Like

Whist the kit, above, is for the P3 … did you investigate the potential to use it for the P2?
The two shells are (visually) pretty much the same, and whilst the internals will doubtless be different, I can’t imagine the size of the components will vary that much. Some minor modding might make it fit …. “adequately”.
I’ve an old P2 I could be interested in doing the same to …. at some point … so will be watching for any progress on this topic.

No, I haven’t gone into it in depth yet. I guess the biggest difference is the absence of a camera on the P2 (ie you add your own)

Yup. Different battery, too, slightly.
Like you, I have the H33D Zenmuse and GoPro for my P2 … but, now I have the MP, I tend to have only used the P2 without the camera for some fun “full manual” flying … and that might be the best reason to convert the P2 to a Mavic look-alike.

1 Like

So not bother with the camera ? Sounds like a plan

1 Like

Looking at the kit it, you could almost certainly fit a Phantom 2 Vision + into it as it is basically the same as the Phantom 3, including the battery holder.
I am lucky that I have both the 2 and the 3 ,so I could pick either.
To be honest I would choose to convert the 2, as it is the one I least fly now.
If that converted ok ,then I would do the 3.
The main difference is the 2 has no VPS system ,so that could throw the balance out of the machine !.
UUUmmm? , need to think about this !.

1 Like

There are 2 versions of the kit, Standard, and the adv/pro version.
I have the second, I am thinking of sending for the standard kit aswell, as I believe this would fit the P2V+ better.
There is a distinct place for the VPS Unit in this one, would be lost to what to put in its place otherwise.

If it’s a weight/balance issue, I guess I could add dummy weight to re balence ?

1 Like

Weight/balance isn’t that critical.

I have my H33D/GoPro mounted well forwards on an adapter plate (to avoid the old “props in video” problem) and it never gave me any issues.

I’ve also flown my Mavic Pro with a pair of LumeCubes … that probably has a far greater impact on balance/CoG. Other than avoiding a slow take-off … that too flies just fine once in the air and the IMU takes over.

1 Like

go on, you know you want to !.

https://www.banggood.com/DJI-Phantom-3-DIY-Modified-Kit-To-DJI-Mavic-Pro-For-DJI-Phantom-3A3P3SE4K3S-Version-p-1236273.html?akmClientCountry=GB#jsReviewsWrap&ID=532653&cur_warehouse=CN

2 Likes