OpenIPC, the cheapest digital long-range FPV system in the world

Introducing OpenIPC, the cheapest digital long-range FPV system in the world

https://openipc.org/

Just a note that OpenIPC is not just for installing an IP camera as an FPV camera

It maybe useful to anyone that wants to hack ip security cameras with a open source firmware

Why OpenIPC Firmware?

First of all, OpenIPC Firmware brings you freedom. With OpenIPC on your camera you are the master of your streams. You have full access to the system and can control what, where, and how you want your camera to behave. There are no backdoors, no botnets, no crypto-mining malware, no keyloggers, no password sniffers, nothing you could possibly expect in a closed binary system with no access to its source code.

As for the Firmware capabilities, we strive to provide universal support for a wide range of cameras, thus we are focused on basic functionality first, allowing end-users to upgrade their cameras’ firmware and stream video and audio (where supported) without too much hassle.

We have some interesting bits though. Our Firmware supports external IPEYE cloud storage, streaming video to Youtube and Telegram, using SOCKS5 proxy, setting up a Virtual Tunnel, and more.

There are also several projects focused on specialized equipment, such as a camera to be mounted on a drone, for mounting on construction helmets, for use in surveying tools, for medical research of the organs of vision, underwater fishing, etc.

I have a “drone” being delivered later this week which might have a lot of the requirements for OpenIPC already installed, or configured to run on it. It’s certainly not a subject for the faint of heart and I may have to tailor back my medication to reach the required cognitive level.

2 Likes

It looks really interesting… I have considered looking into trying it myself… but why bother when I already have HDZero and Walksnail!

If I was stuck on analog I’d certainly be trying it out as I do love to tinker, but I just don’t have the time what with all the other stuff I have going on…

It’ll be very interesting to hear/see how you get on!

What “drone” is it you’ve got coming?

Time isn’t too much of an issue for me. For instance I’m currently sat here on the sofa playing “Jetwash Simulator” of all things on the PS5. Being in the right mindset to see a project to full fruition is another matter.

The drone is the Intel Aero Drone. Essentially it’s a full blown Unix PC that flys, originally produced for SUAS developers.

I’ve order a compatible camera. Anything where you have to use u-boot and ssh has got to be fun.
£21.62 2.8mm lens, 12v cable.

I think old laptop can be used a ground station like OpenHD. Latency is claimed better.

in our Glass-to-Glass tests, we got about 80ms latency for 1080p@60 (on mid-budget cameras), and about 60 ms for 720p@60 and about 100 ms for 1080p@30 (for the most budget cameras)

1 Like