Panic like running for a bus!

So here’s my s*it my pants moment today.

Whilst leaving the track in order to grab some extended footage via drone at Mallory Park for the Birthday Challenge (GADC 4th Birthday Challenge! - £200 TOP CASH PRIZE - #128 by ensignvorik) I set up in my usual spot and sent the drone up. The sound of the cars starting up and it’s lights out and away we go! Cars now loud as they come towards the side of the track where I’m standing, keeping a watchful eye on my Mini 2 hovering away happily.

Then a helicopter comes out of nowhere from behind the track and trees and seemingly seems to be heading straight for my drone. Oh f**k. There were no NOTAMS in place for today (there was one for Wednesday) I don’t really have time to react, and as not being able to tell the exact line of flight, it was probably for the best I didn’t. If the helicopter pilot had seen it he’d probably already made evasive manoeuvres and was hoping I’d leave my drone exactly where it was.

As the camera was tilted down to the track, none of this excitement was caught on the drones camera. It probably looked a much closer shave from the ground than it actually was. But phew!