Panic like running for a bus!

No not a fly away… a pleasant read though. perhaps :wink:

I had some free time coming up for Wednesday just gone so I thought of some place i wanted to try and improve my flying skills… a church not far away but set in a rural setting but surrounded by a housing estate… I didn’t want to take of nearby as I didn’t want the hassle of explaining anything… So I saw on Google maps a canal nearby that I have flown the Mini 2. we have had some recent troubles with yobs on canals … one threw a young woman into the canal. I didn’t really want to hang around the tow path being on my own… then i remembered further up on the tow path a canal bridge that seemed unused… (over grown) could stand on top of that and be aware of things around me. Sure enough Google earth showed it unused even by farmers.

Well that’s the plan then. take of from there and feel safer. Bearing in mind I have had trouble with my knees and hobbling around but desperate to ‘get out’ I drive to the canal entrance and hobble towards the unused bridge avoiding one mad cyclist. As I’m approaching the bridge and getting the Mini unfolded etc… what do I see; a narrowboat coming my way.

Oh God!.. Took me back to this almost same spot 3 months ago when i almost got the video shot i wanted… (Drone camera looking vertically down and narrowboat sailing through the frame) I didn’t because I hadn’t started the recording… damn!.. Now panic… I really do want this shot but Mini 2 is not even up yet!.. So i start walking/hobbling ahead of the boat switching everything on… calibrate compass, get satellites and the then as it all comes together the blasted boat is right beside me. I still really want this shot so … still in panic… I launch by hand straight up to the amazement to the person at the helm… Whoooosh! I get a smile fortunately.

They are heading for the bridge I entered the tow path from… :frowning: So i set the Mini after them over the bridge… more panic I KNOW there are trees over the canal beyond the bridge… still trying to catch them up and navigate the trees too… finally got over and then let the scene unfold… YES! they narrowboat going through the static frame… really pleased… but need a drink now​:beer:

This might seem pretty lame to you experienced flyers but I like calm and sedate… :blush:

I eventually hobble back to the unused bridge. .take off from my hand (nowhere to take of and land this thing) and fly over the roads to the church… Things are much more serene now… i find out that my circling skills are nearly up to zero. :grinning:

The Mini is now the same colour as the skies… lost the damn thing. So RTH. I’m looking and looking… still can’t see it. next thing I get a voice… Drone Landing… I was not looking high enough… So cancel the landing and bring it home on my own to my hand.

hobble back to the car… What a rush that was!

19 Likes

That’s a Great story, and one that I can certainly relate to, and I think most of us too :joy: I am very new to flying a drone, so I am presently building confidence, both in the actual flying and video techniques and getting ‘comfortable’ when people are around. Plus, I get the same kind of tension if the drone goes out of sight for a moment or two.

Thanks for sharing your story, now I know I’m not on my own lol, so your story helps me.
Please don’t forget to share your video/pictures of the Canal Boat and the Church. Thanks again! :clap:

1 Like

I think we all relate to this Alan, but probably don’t tell our stories of adrenaline pumping moments as what is so nerve raking to some of us hobbyists, is probably a piece of cake for people who have been doing it for yonks. Also because majority of us are men there’s the whole masculinity syndrome of not wanting to appear ‘weak’

It’s good to talk. Thanks for the story Alan. I notice your avatar is of Grand Central. Are you local to Birmingham?

2 Likes

yes @firstadekit

I live about 6 miles from the city.

1 Like

Nice. I’ll have to give curdworth a look. I’m not far away from there in Kingsbury and intend to do a bit more grand union canal stuff. Weather and real life permitting.

1 Like

Why don’t you post the pictures here, just use the upload button

1 Like

thanks @Sparkyws

I use another forum similar looking and it doesn’t have that button… I get confused between the two… (well that’s my excuse) :roll_eyes:

Here they are:

Thanks again.

16 Likes

@firstadekit

I can relate to your comment… ‘be a man’… Had some issues with this lockdown and not seeing many people… I find after some research that many mental issues go undetected because they are are unknowingly hidden by us… This applies to women as as well.

The successful businessman and the so-called super mum (has ten children and still finds time to cram in 4 hobbies and night classes. .an exaggeration but underneath many are not really enjoying life… it is a façade called smiling depression) worth looking up.

sorry to go OT

4 Likes

No worries mate. Sometimes it’s good to just get stuff of your chest and get it out in whatever flavour or situation you feel comfortable with. Bet you didn’t think you’d be posting that after posting a picture of a narrowboat. :+1:

There is a dedicated mental health thread. Give it a bump if you ever feel the need too. Sometimes it’s easier to talk to complete strangers especially those that share similar hobbies.

4 Likes

@firstadekit

I’ll do a search on that… every little helps (though I hate advertising Tesco) :slight_smile:

Can relate to that. Had the bird in the air waiting 20min for the flying scotsman.
Then heard the whistle in the distance. Mad rush to get thee drone back change the battery and get it back in the air to get the shot.
Well done.:clap::clap:

3 Likes

I absoultely LOVE this story. Thank you Alan for taking the time to both write it and post it!! Great pictures btw

1 Like

Great images, well worth the trip out. If you’ve never been nervous and pumping adrenaline, you’ve never lived.

Great pictures and a better way to share them :+1:t2:

I loved your story, and also the comments.
And what might seem weakness is actually human nature. And speaking about such things can only bring positive things! :clap:

1 Like

Well done great story :+1:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. Great story and will ring true to many of us newbies!

1 Like

Great story I’ve been their too :joy:
I try to plan more now so I dont have a panic attack or at less know what to do when it all goes wrong :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

The entrance to the canal I used was right next to the White Horse Pub. It’s quite picturesque there.

Or similarly close to you are the white towers over the canal and a marina nr Drayton Manor Park.

I need something else to try now.

All the best with your next trip @firstadekit

1 Like

It’s mad isn’t it? I had the same nervous knot waiting for one of the local narrow gauge engines for the treasure hunt the other day. Though your shot would have been much more of a one off. We’ve got the FS coming to Norfolk in October, so I’ll probably be doing exactly the same as you.

For something I do for fun I don’t half make it feel stressful sometimes… :joy:

1 Like