Phantom 4 pro motor sounds 'off'

Took my P4P for a spin in the sunshine yesterday - 1st time out with that bit of kit since early Jan.

Attached the props, and did my usual manual prop ‘flick’ to check they were clear and listen to the bearings.

3 sounded like they always had … very smooth ‘voooom’.

The last motor had a slight ‘whirrr’ behind the ‘voooom’ - still smooth, but it sounded slightly different. Twisting the motor manually, I couldn’t detect any vibration or looseness in comparison to the others.

Am I being too cautious (i.e. have other P4P owners had this with no issues), or is this the beginning of a potential failure later down the line?

Have you got a stress crack in the arm by the motor mount, that’ll cause a vibration.

No cracks on last maintenance 2021, but just checked again … nothing.

Thought I’d try the old ‘ear to the ground’ trick, by pressing the underside of the motor mount to my ear and spinning them manually (without props I may add … don’t want to end up like Van Gogh!)

With the added ‘volume’ definately sounds like a bearing on its way out :frowning:

How long do you all reckon I’ve got? I’m guessing I’ll start to hear it make a horrible noise, and detect motor overheating after flights before the one when it falls out of the sky?

Bit annoying really, as this one only has a few hours flight time (it was a replacement for one that suffered an unexpected power reboot mid-flight) … an of course no DJI refresh any more or insurance :frowning:

Blow the motors out with some compressed air (use a can of camera quality) you might have some crap in the motor, I had some in a Spark motor, felt like it was seizing up!

Will give it a go … something like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Green-Blue-GB400-Air-Cleaning-Compressed/dp/B015H7SKAC

Oh … and do you blow from the bottom, or top?

Something like that, although that one hasn’t got very good reviews. If you’ve got a local camera shop, or even Curry’s, you’ll get a can from them.

1 Like