Pickmere radio telescope - Added to Everything Else in North West

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission requirements unknown.

Parked at the Smoker in Plumley. The website has local walks to download, one of which takes you past Pickmere radio telescope.

It's part of the Merlin array of seven astronomical radio telescopes coordinated from Jodrell Bank.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 24/08/2021. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

4 Likes

Anyone know if the signals from such places interfere with drone and controller?

Typically it is the other way around - radio telescopes generally don’t transmit - radio emissions from drones could interfere with the very sensitive receivers of the telescope though.

2 Likes

It’s a receiver, not a transmitter. Just like an optical telescope…

DOH - Senior Moment!
I guess the other kit there is just different types of receivers as well.

I did an unofficial risk assessment on arrival.

Noted the dish was pointing along the ground, rather than up in the sky.
It wasn’t moving, nor could I hear any noise.
No one on site, though it was probably controlled remotely.

On that basis I proceeded, expecting either someone to come along or a message over a loudspeaker if it was in use!
Probably not ideal but better than nothing!

Hi David,
It is part of the Jodrell Bank MERLIN (Multi-Element Radio Linked Interferometer Network) radio telescope

They frown on using radio equipment near their Telescopes! :smirk:

Visitor Safety

In order to protect the safety of people and our scientific work we do NOT allow vehicles OR remote-controlled devices on site. This includes hoverboards, skateboards, cycles, scooters and ride on toys etc and also devices such as drones, model aircraft etc.

Thanks Wayne, I wasn’t aware of this, though I wouldn’t go close to Jodrell Bank! :grimacing:

I didn’t see any signs or notices at Pickmere, but I’ll have a closer next time I’m in the area! I stayed at the edge of the public footpath.

1 Like