Planes flying out of red zone

Hiya again, sorry to be a pest.

So have been using the drone scene thingy and drone assist and of course been keen to check out my area. Now I live close to the plains. In both apps it shows my area out of the red zones, but when a hercules went over my house today it occured to me (only been here 10 yrs but I suppose I never had a flying interest) they fly over us a lot. You’ll often see two hercs circling the hills practicing banking and helicopters, lots of helicopters too, big buggers (apaches I think).

Anyway, I don’t really know what I am asking, I don’t want to report it and end up making a red zone. should they be flying over me if it is not in ‘their’ zone?

1 Like

The “red zones” are for drones to avoid, not for other aircraft to stay within.

If they were, your holiday flight wouldn’t get you very far. :wink:

3 Likes

Hehe, I see what you mean :blush: Thanks so much for the clarification

That said, they shouldn’t be low enough to worry us in the 400ft AGL limit that we have.

Obviously, choppers can land petty much anywhere … and to get to land, they need to pass through our space. So always keep ears/eyes open.

Like some people here (:eyes:) may stray above 400ft … some of the bigger guys may stray below where they ought.

All that bible/Monty Python stone casting probably applies, too. :+1:

General aviation and commercial have to (normally) abide by the rules of the air. The military and emergency services less so.

Helis are normally the worst “offenders” - military can basically fly at any height from zero upward, police, coastguard and the rest tend to obey the rules unless there is something lower they need to look at.

Air Ambulance and Coastguard may also be transporting patients with respiratory problems; when they took me to Haslar for a spell in the hyperbaric chamber we stayed below 100 feet the whole time - easy as most of the journey was over the sea.

1 Like

Ok, thank you everyone, so back to good old common sense and observation. The herc was really, really low, could clearly see the bottom. I turned to my friend and said ‘my new drone can go higher than that :open_mouth: I’m glad we aren’t using that one right now!’ We had just been playing with the tello so even though it doesn’t go up far we had eyes on the skies…and then I went back on the phone to triple check I was out of the red zone!

Hope you are ok now macspite?

Thanks!

It was about 30 years ago. I don’t think there was any lasting damage, although … if it affected my brain - how would I know?

:smiley: that made me giggle! I can totally relate!

1 Like

Hi, You can always check the MOD Gov’ website for details of low flying training. Where I live military aircraft fly low at 150feet. I hope what I have copied from their website is helpful? * Ministry
of Defence

Guidance

Operational low flying training timetable 13 to 17 December 2021

Updated 5 January 2022

This schedule sets out the timetable for use of the 3 Tactical Training Areas (TTA) used for operational low flying training by fast jets and Hercules transport aircraft. While it is likely some of the slots will not be used, no additional times will be added to those already booked.

Central Wales Northern Scotland the borders area of Southern Scotland and Northern England
Monday 9am to 10am 11am to 12pm 1pm to 2pm
Tuesday 10am to 11am 12pm to 1pm 11am to 12pm
Wednesday 1pm to 2pm 10am to 11am 9am to 10am
Thursday 11am to 12pm 9am to 10am 2pm to 3pm
Friday 2pm to 3pm 1pm to 2pm 12pm to 1pm

Operational low flying is an essential skill and is practised by fixed wing aircraft between 100 feet and 250 feet; a more representative altitude at which pilots would fly in a combat scenario. The final decision to use a TTA is taken on the day itself as this kind of training can only take place when weather conditions allow.

When a TTA is active, routine low flying by other military users can take place between 500 feet and 2000 feet. When the TTA is not in use standard low flying training is permitted down to 250 feet and helicopters down to ground level. Late spring and summer are the busiest times for low flying as squadrons make full use of good weather to carry out their training.

My instructor at Phantom Flight School said you can post a Notam to this address and if you do it the day before flying the RAF will take it into account, even if they have exercises in the area. Handy in the Lake District!

cas-aslfoslfbc@mod.uk

@Bergroos, Aahhh thank you! DOH! I used to work for the MoD and completly and utterly forgot they post practice times. Thanks so much. Yeh they will be low flying till the 16th. Good to know.

@grahammoore Really! Also really good to know!

Aw, thanks everyone for being so helpful. I appreciate it so much.

You’re very welcome.

1 Like