Poolewe near Ullapool

Going to Poolewe near Ullapool in May, and you will know of the big red strip there. I can fly arounf the extreme coast edges according to the map, but is it hassle to get permission ?

There’s only one way to find out :smiley:

Give the Military Airspace Management team a call on 01489 443 100, they’ll soon advise you on any requirements.

1 Like

Use our very own Dronescene all the info you need

2 Likes

Thanks for the number. I hope they would give a reference number in case police ask. Dronescene does show I can fly on the edges which may be all I want.
Problem is I had a little issue last week in a public park in Tetbury, Gloucestershire. Stupidly I had not checked DroneScene but was only a few hundred yards from the edge. Someone reported my short flight, I was only demonstrating it to a family member and had put it away. Just sitting in car and police came and looking around the park. On the way back to their car they asked if they had seen anyone with a drone, and I truthfully said it was me. Issue was Royal Residence about 2 miles away. We had a chat and no problem. I will check in future. So that is why I say may need a reference number if I called for authorisation.

It’s more likely that nobody reported your flight - and more like you were using a DJI drone which grassed you up to the nearest AeroScope :wink:

The layers you need are only available to members

Well I don’t know a lot about that but searches show it has been discontinued. There were a few dog walkers about, maybe one of them. No matter, I will be more careful in future.

Never admit anything without legal council,

Where I come from nobody trusts the peelers

They only stopped sales of the old mobile version, but it’s still very much supported and the thousands of units already in use are still receiving firmware updates and new encryption modules.

Base units are still available: https://www.dji.com/aeroscope

Anyway, as mentioned above, give the people responsible for that airspace a call, most are very accommodating.

I think we can probably count the number of rejections on one hand :smiley:

Hi @toad007, it looks as though you’re quite new here :wave:t2:

Why not nip over to the Introductions page, and say hello properly and tell us a bit about yourself. :+1:t2:

Ping. Excellent info, I have researched it as well. I only think someone reported us as we did not fly it very high or far, and the police drove straight in. Cousin Beryl was the operator, amd she is 93 !!

Alan

1 Like

If you were flying a DJI drone the local AeroScope would have been notified the moment you started the rotors :blush:

Anyway, back on topic, if you do reach out to MOD or anyone else to request permission to fly in restricted airspace, please do report back and let us know the outcome of the request.

Either good or bad, it’s always really useful to hear how these things go :smiley:

I absolutely agree. However as I was truthful and some way away from Charles they did not seem too bothered. They did ask details as they wanted to know if I was ‘wanted’ !! Its nice to be wanted and I could see them looking at car details to check.
This could have had serious repercussions if they had been so inclined. I have a DBS certificate and deal with young and disabled people at a sailing club. If I had got a caution or conviction it could have affected the DBS, amd hundreds of young people would have been denied an instructor, and instructors for this are thin on the ground. So DroneScene No.1 !!

If I do contact MOD I hope I get an email or reference to show police in the unlikely event they chase me in Scotland. If I just said I have telephoned where is the proof.
I did ask permission of Sizewell B Power Station in Suffolk where we live and it was denied.
My wife does ‘Park Run’, which is a global informal 5km race at 9am every Saturday. You can take a dog, pushchair, all sorts ! I wanted to take video along the shoreline of the race, about 1/4 mile from the perimeter fence of Sizewell B.

1 Like

Done as ordered !!

1 Like

Don’t forget your membership :wink: