Port talbot wales / steel works / Tata - Added to Iconic Landscapes and Ancient Sites in Wales

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission requirements unknown.

Port talbot steel works also know as TATA, what a massive & stunning place, a true example of industry, I forgot how beautiful wales itself is on my drive, I shall return for other poi nearby, TOAL was very very easy & the few public about are / were very friendly, a few ground hazards so bear that in mind, there are other places to TOAL I noticed, where you can get nearer to the steel works, had it have not been so cold I would have stayed till night time, as this place lights up like a Christmas tree, with a sub 250g drone you could get even closer to the steel works, that said it’s so big, this place would make good for someone with video skills with their drone, this place is a must, best place I’ve visited since I’ve been flying drones.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 21/01/2023. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

2 Likes

If you go again then I recommend the below pin as a parking spot. From there you could TOAL (from the small parking area) or cross the train tracks and walk straight down to Morfa beach and then turn right. You could very easily do a TOAL there and usually only dog walkers.
https://goo.gl/maps/StLSb1Emfy36URyU8

There are also two shipwrecks on that strip of sand (one on Morfa beach and the other on the adjoining Sker beach), but about 5 miles between the two wrecks. See this post for one of the wrecks: The Altmark Shipwreck - Added to Beaches and Seaside Resorts in Wales

The beach is a 15/20m good walk from the parking spot but get you so much closer to the steelworks.

and p.s. next time do a shout out to South Walian droners and you may get some company :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ok thankyou :+1:t2:

The place were I put a pin, is easy to park as well, I see there’s a railway there in between, we’re I was and the subject ….

Edit, my reason for TOAL there was too get the sunshine behind the steel works

1 Like

Oh I get that - and could also have done that from Kenfig Nature Reserve.

Ah ok, you know more than me, it was a last minute kinda dash & was trying to do it all by the book so to speak, that was the first place I see that was a good TOAL point, as I said I will head back, I see what looked like a real old castle in a mountain side, it looks awesome, if there would have been somewhere too stop I would have got some pics, but I was on the M4, my sister lives in wales so I could kill two birds with one stone.

Edit, I love snowdonia too