Portland Bill, Dorset, with a DJI Mavic 3

I spent some time in the UK recently and found some great places to fly. Here is one of Portland Bill on a hazy day.

I just started using DaVinci Resolve and this is the first video I finished. I used to use Photoshop, which just isn’t great for video, and was very impressed with DaVinci. Thanks John Davies for suggesting this software.

10 Likes

Nice one great video.

1 Like

Nice video, the weather makes for great atmosphere.
Wonder if anyone had tried flying through Pulpit Rock… take someone very brave, perhaps the FPV lot!

Just getting to grips with DaVinci for work, not used it for anything as original as actual editing yet though. Getting more powerful and feature rich every day though.

1 Like

Flying through Pulpit Rock… haha, not me!

DaVinci is a bit of a beast until you get to grips with it. I spent ages watching Youtube - not BlackMagicDesign but those put together by people who use it everyday. Eventually, I grasped the basics and stopped trying to learn all of the ‘only use it now and again’ stuff (but kept a bunch of URLs pointing me to useful youtube videos).

Good luck with DaVinci.

1 Like

I know I live in Yorkshire and Yorkshire is gods own country, I do however have a very big soft spot for Dorset. It’s a beautiful place.
Such a shame you the day was overcast for you.
Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Fantastic place. Used to live in Weymouth as a teen and cycle out to Portland Bill when there was a tidal rip and a force 8 or stronger. Wild and beautiful. You have brought back lovely memories for me!

1 Like

Stunning video thanks

2 Likes

I was down the Bill at the weekend, posted some pics, here is some quick and dirty footage.

1 Like

A few months on, I know …

I went down to the Bill today intending to shoot video and stills. But my DJI kit refused to take off because it wanted authorisation from the nearby MoD site. The No Fly Drones site marks an area that’s restricted, but it doesn’t include the tip of the Bill, where I was. DJIFly knew where I was, so knew I was not in or near the MoD site.

What might I be doing wrong? What might I do to get around the restriction the DJI controller thinks is in place?

cheers

There is a MOD location slightly north of Pulpit Rock but, depending where you are standing, the area should let you fly.

Which controller were you using?

I was using an RC with built-in screen, located due east of the obelisk at the very tip of the Bill, over 200m from the boundary of the Navy site.

cheers
Chris

Hi Chris,

I was on Portland and rechecked whether my Mavic 3 could fly. The DJI Fly app did pop-up a warning because it was close to an Authorization Zone. I followed the instructions and got a code within seconds allowing me to fly (you do need to be connected to internet). You could also get approval by using the Fly Safe Portal.

Here is DJI’s link to more info… https://enterprise-insights.dji.com/blog/dji-drone-self-unlock-nfz-geo-zone

Hope this help,

Simon

Simon

I’ve removed your email and phone numbers, do t want you spammed :wink:

Thanks Simon, that’s really helpful. I didn’t realise you could get clearance so easily.

Cheers

C

Cheers Chris

Nice video buddy.