Portland Bill Lighthouse Dorset 2020

8 Likes

I was going to fly there last October but weather conditions wasn’t on my side. Any problems with the military part next to it? Hoping to get down that way again when restrictions are lifted

1 Like

It’s only a little training depot and it’s not a no fly zone it was great to fly here. I did get here at 04:30 so as no people and got the sunrise :sunrise_over_mountains:

1 Like

No issues with military. I flew it August last year after hiking from Bournemouth

2 Likes

While you’re there I recommend Tout Quarry Sculpture Park and Nature Reserve.

2 Likes

Fingers crossed I get there again this year then! Love Dorset area but due to the wind conditions and only having a Mavic mini when I came down, it was pointless even attempting to fly before I even spotted the MOD site but now have the Mavic air 2 which seems to hate a local training site near me, completely refuses take off depending on how close to the fence I am :joy: even though the site is very rarely used other than the odd night training for amphibious warfare.

1 Like

I now have to get a code from dji when I take off near a TA training camp in Reading. I put the video up in the top left corner of the original video as it covers up some of the MOD buildings but it was all good to fly there :+1:t2:

I’m guessing you get a similar warning to this one? How long does it take to unlock the area? The camp I walk through definitely doesn’t have anything in there that shouldn’t be seen, the site was sold on a few years back but the military still have access for training, during the day it’s fully open to let people walk through, the fenced off area inside the walk area is basically an old fort where they do urban style training but all around it is like a nature trail and an area of scientific interest where they use it for ambush and vehicle training. Only reason I want to fly inside the area is due to it having an old border line to separate 2 towns (from what I’ve read), I think it would quite interesting from above.

@Tiger83 you shouldn’t need to unlock a DJI craft here mate, it’s just outside of the DJI GEO zones.

This lighthouse is on Drone Scene already:

And you can take off and land legally from the pink Foreshore areas.

Just be careful which directions you fly in once you’re in the air :blush:

2 Likes

I click on the the unlock and then you get a code to input from DJI on your mobile :+1:t2:

1 Like

That picture is from another area that Tiger is asking about not Portland Bill Lighthouse :+1:t2::green_heart:

1 Like

I’d only want to fly round the light house and off the cliff edge to get a view of the coast line. I’ve got loads of photos from ground level from previous visits but can guarantee the aerial views would be amazing! I’d also want to go off the top of the hill coming out of Portland (no idea of the name of the area) but the views from the hill are amazing and I always make a point of stopping at the top for the views then the bottom to watch the kite surfers so would also be aiming for video footage if I can get any of the surfers to agree to a drone being near their kites.

I’ll give it a try next time I’m in Browndown camp (it’s a usual walk area for my family lately so no doubt be testing it soon). I’ve always cancelled it as soon as I get warnings like that but was also the first time the MA2 has completely refused take off.

By The Heights Hotel and Olympic Rings … you are OK there, too, if you don’t fly out in front too far …

Also HMP The Verne is best kept clear of, too. :wink:

2 Likes

That’s the place! Looks like I’m going to have to plan a little holiday when we’re all allowed to travel again

3 Likes

I was there for the New Year’s Eve 2000 it was ace.
Been back a few times since. Love the cream teas.

2 Likes

I posted a video from the kites that I did last year chisel beach not my best video as it was when I was new to drones :+1:t2:

1 Like

Great video
John

1 Like

I’ll have to see if I can find it. I attempted to record some of the surfers at the beach down the road from where I live the other day but still finding the confidence to get lower above water as well as avoiding the sea spray but hoping to practice a bit more as I’ve got a mate that has agreed to let me film him surfing at some point.

1 Like

You’ll be fine just learn to trust the drone :+1:t2: