Portugal & drones: anything I should know?

Your drone farts? :astonished:

3 Likes

@PaperCrane Flown Drier !!!:rofl:

4 Likes

This was the result of my trip to Portugal.

Portugal Trip

I’m kicking myself for not putting it in tripod mode :frowning:

3 Likes

Thanks chap

The map for Portugal and instructions / guidance includes this:

Filming and photography using a drone requires the authorization by the Air Force, here: (www.aan.pt)

I’m assuming as all other indicators suggest Portugal is OK for drone usage, that this relates only to filming within restricted areas?

I’ve moved your post into one about Portugal, since any replies will be more easily found by others in the future.

1 Like

Hi guys
Im looking at going over to Luz in the Algarve at and thought why not take the MP.
I’m flying with Easyjet and have done so to Ireland before with no issues.
What’s really confusing me though, or i’m just dumb as dung, is making sure I can legally fly it.
I’ve seen that Luz is not in a FRZ so good that way but then I read that you have to register with the AAN then register if you want to take photo’s then maybe register if you want to fly on a beach and register if you want to fly in a nature reserve (which seems like all around Sagres is).
Has anyone gone through this grind before?
A step by step guide would be great if someone was able to share how they’ve previously done it please??
Many thanks
Eugene

I’m a bit confused!

From what I can see, contrary to the above posts, that one needs to register at AAN - e-AAN - Login and also if the drone is heaver than 250g you need to register it ANAC (but I can find nowhere to do this).

Seems like this has been the law for a couple of years or so…

Anyone know?

1 Like

Got to the bottom of this - I think!

If the drone has a camera you must get permission from AAN - this requires either a signature which you post to them on the form or a certified signature emailed.

You then need to log your drones

Then you need to request permission where to fly in Portugal from AAN and have to specify maximum height etc. This has to be done about a week in advance. You will also need to tell them if you are taking images or video and what you plan to do with them!

If the drone is under 250g you are limited to 30m altitude.

Essentially it is down to whether you have a camera or not - if you do not then you do not need to register.

Oh and if you wish to fly over the sea - you need extra permission - so don’t include this in your request!

1 Like

Obrigado

1 Like

Emailed geral@anac.pt for more information

1 Like

Been a while since I emailed Portugal. Still no reply.

I received this reply from Portugal with regards to flying drones in Portugal when you are a UK citizen:

You shall comply with European drone rules. That includes be registered as UAS operator, have the right competency, use a proper UAS (CE marked or class marked) and comply with the European and national rules (avoid UAS geographical zones). As long as the operator has a registration in a EU member state, he cannot make another registration. However, the UK is no longer part of the EU and its registration is not recognized in Portugal.

You must obtain a digital mobile key from the Portuguese government, in order to be able to register as an operator of a country outside the European Union.

it is suggested that you try to check with the consulate to see how you can obtain this digital mobile key (CMD) or even from one of the citizen stores, via online, to find out how you can obtain this key, not being Portuguese or residing in this country, to be able to register and operate your drone in Portugal, duly legalized.

Kindly note that drone operations could impose safety, security, environmental, and data protection/privacy risks to civil aviation and society. As you can understand, the UAS operator registry is only possible by authenticated people, including Portuguese Nationals. The same process is applicable for nationals and non-nationals.

Please verify the information available in www.anac.pt. You can use chrome browser translator to provide you a courtesy translation of the contents. Contents are also available in EASA website.

When you have your registration, arriving to Portugal:

Avoid prohibited areasOperate up to the maximum allowed level in protection areas of the airports (area 1 – 30m, area 2 – 60m and area 3- 80m)Areas are available here AirMap Web App you can download them,Protection areas form natural parks – You can operate in the open but a prior approval from ICNF is needed.

In all Portuguese territory, to take photos and videos you need AAN authorization (military authority) – www.aan.pt . Same applyes if you want to start an operation in military airspace. The access is condition to their approval.

Or just register wirth AAN and be done with it :slight_smile:

I am and have had no further restrictions placed.

1 Like

I’m flying to Portugal next week. Does anyone know if they allow you to take pocket 2 through customs at the airport or will I have to put it in my hold luggage…

No problem at all, its no different to your mobile phone.

2 Likes

Thanks for you help

1 Like

Well, I have tried numerous times to register with the ANAC in Portugal to register myself and my drones. However, every option I have tried takes me to authorise your digital key. This key is only available to citizens. It is literally impossible to register myself and my drone to fly in Portugal and Madeira. They might as well have banned drones completely.

I have contacted the embassy, ANAC, everyone and no reply. Probably because they don’t know the process either.

I have read about getting certified in Netherlands, France etc, but these will not be enough to fly in Portugal.

I could do what everyone else does and just fly there. But I am in a job where I cannot risk breaking laws, both nationally and internationally. So I need to follow the rules.

It seems Portugal is really strict on this. Other countries are more relaxed but just as enforceful.

Seems I will stick to my digital cameras.

I was able to do it a year ago with no major issue.

I had to get the Adobe digitally signed and register for that, but I was able to do it.

The email I used was imagens.aereas@aan.pt

1 Like

I also had this reply when I was submitting the form…

In order to activate your profile, you will have to send us the declaration of commitment and honor, received in your email when registering on the AAN website, duly signed.

The declaration you sent as an attachment cannot be accepted, as it does not have a valid signature.

The declaration received is not signed with a certified digital signature and can not therefore be accepted by electronic mail.

Therefore, please send the declaration in question, duly signed, by mail to the following postal address:

Gabinete da Autoridade Aeronáutica Nacional
Avenida da Força Aérea Portuguesa, n.º 1
2614-506 Amadora.

Note: for digital certificate signatures please refer to the follow sites:

https://www.gns.gov.pt/assinatura-eletrónica.aspx

EUR-Lex - 32014R0910 - EN - EUR-Lex

A year ago that may have been the case but since 2021 Portugal has got tighter and restrictive, if the Portuguese Embassy can’t work it out, who can? :thinking::thinking::thinking: