Portugal & drones: anything I should know?

Maybe, not sure.

I would at least try that email if you haven’t already. I found their replies pretty good.

This is the latest information I have and this came from the ANAC. In layman’s terms, as a third country (choices are Portugal, EU or Third Country) a UK citizen needs to get a digital key using their passport, to do this they need to visit either a Portuguese Embassy in UK or Portuguese Government or Agency in Portugal. Once you’ve got that then and only then can you register with the ANAC to get a registration number to be attached to your drone. Then you can fly. However, to take photos or videos you need further authorization as below.

"You must be registered as a UAS operator in a EU member state in order to hold a valid registry number. Probably this is the simplest way:

To request a registry number (natural person) to ANAC you shall:

Go to a Portuguese Embassy, Consulate to obtain a authentication mobile key (Portuguese government certified authentication system) using your passport. You can also arrive in Portugal and go to a Government Balcony/Agency to request, in person, the authentication key (please check the registry tutorial available online in ANAC website). Personal data needs to be shared.If you have you authentication key you can access to uas.anac.pt and register as Portuguese natural person UAS operator. Authentication key is needed to conclude the registry (if not in the database for internal security reasons is not possible to register and obtain a registry number – without a number you can’t operate).Will take 1-3 days to approve (request will be in Pending status until ANAC approval).Issued UAS operator registry number must be attached to the drone frame.

To simplify, we strongly suggest to operate under the open category rules A1, A2 or A3 (no ANAC authorization required). You must avoid all prohibited geographical areas published in AirMap Web App . To use the areas we suggest to read point A. of the following link Cross border

Rules of A1, A2 or A3 open subcategories are available here: Aeronaves Civis Pilotadas Remotamente . A suitable drone and competency certificates are needed. If you have a A1-A3 proof of completion of online training issued by a EU country you can operate in A1 and A3 using a UAS weighing less than 250g if in A1 or 25 kg if operating in the A3 (must fly 150m distance from residential, commercial, industrial and leisure zones). Maximum flight height is 120m AGL except in the vicinity of prohibited zones of international airports. To fly in ATZ in the open category authorization from the aerodrome manager is required (aerodrome in non-controlled airspace).

Please note the dedicated FAQ https://www.anac.pt/vPT/Generico/drones/FAQs/Paginas/FAQpaisterceiro5.aspx

Other local conditions not under the control of ANAC:

Authorization from AAN (military authority) is required to conduct aerial surveys (take photos and record videos) in all Portuguese territory (www.aan.pt). To fly in natural parks authorization may be needed from DRRF"

1 Like

The digital key that I got was on Adobe to allow me to sign the form electronically.

Maybe it has got harder, I don’t know.

Hi, new member here.

I stumbled across this thread while researching the requirements for flying drones in The Azores (Portuguese) and thought I would add my two-penny-worth. I have already registered with the AAN and was led to believe from various other sites that that was all that is required. Hope they’re correct.

The process of registration is very straightforward and quick. However you do need to submit a signed declaration form before getting flight authorisation. If you have a digital registered signature you can submit the form electronically. I don’t so sent a paper copy in the post expecting it to disappear into a black hole. Two days later I was approved! Once approved I could apply to fly in various areas of the islands (broken down by Municipality) and most were approved instantly. The only one that took time was the Municipality that enveloped the airport, but that came through within a few days.

I now have four very official AAN authorisation certificates to wave at anyone who might challenge me.

3 Likes

You ought to also have your EASA operator certificate.

The equivalent of our UK flyer id.

Take it via Luxembourg and it is free or via Ireland. You will then be able to fly in the EU.

4 Likes

Thanks for that. Done, via Ireland.

2 Likes

Hi,

Can you tell me the whole process of how to get approval to fly? I asked ANAC and they said I need a authentication mobile key, available from the Portuguese Consulate in London with a passport, to be able to be a Portuguese natural person UAS operator.

If there is another way, please let me know in simple steps.

Thank you for all your help and assistance with this, I really appreciate it.

Hi,
First I registered at the aan.pt website (https://www.aan.pt/subPagina-AAN-001.005.005-aeronaves-nao-tripuladas-drones). To get the account approved I had to download a Declaration form, sign it and post it to the AAN in Portugal. This can be avoided if you have a certified digital signature. My account was approved within a couple of days.
I then applied for the European Operator/Flyer certs. I did this via the Irish website, which turned out the be fairly expensive, so I would recommend doing this via Luxembourg. This stage did require that I install an authenticator app, which was slightly long-winded but got there in the end.
The aan.pt website portal is very friendly and you can add dates and locations of where you intend to fly. As long as the areas are not sensitive, approval is given instantly and you get a certificate you can print and carry with you.
Hope this helps.
Ben

2 Likes

Good Morning Ben,

Firstly thank you. You’re the first to actually advise how to do this in steps rather than “Its easy, just go to this site”.

I actually managed to get through the AAN process by emailing a signed declaration. I just did a signature using Adobe Sign, hopefully that’ll work. If not I’ll have to send it by snail mail.

Looked at Luxembourg, wow, that is long winded! Have to go through the Luxtrust process first before you can log in before linking to the app before being able to register. Looked at Ireland, looks simpler and easier. Will let you know how I get on.

But thank you again for your reply, advice and help, I really appreciate it.

To be honest the Luxembourg system did look more complex, which is why I went down the Irish route. To warn you, it cost 30 Euros to take the test (which I didn’t discover until I’d completed it) and 30 euros to get an EU Operator ID. I didn’t complete the process in getting a Flyer ID as time ran out and I suspect it would cost yet another 30 Euros.
Good luck!

1 Like

So far so good . . .

Passed the training, considering I have certificates for A1, A2, A3 and Article 16 for the UK, the exam was easy. Plus they give you the answers in the tips box on the right. Which is stupid in my opinion cause then any idiot can get a licence. Getting a drone licence should be like getting a car or pilot licence, hours of practice, drive / fly time then practical and theory tests before you get a licence and renewal of licence when successfully passing refresher flights and theories.

Just need to register, but want to get 3rd party liability insurance first to cover me in Europe. My current insurance is UK only.

Then await response from AAN :crossed_fingers:

Thank you so much Ben. As you can tell from my previous posts, this has been a long and frustrating journey involving AAN, ANAC, Portuguese Consulate and many others.

YOU, are the first to simplify, explain and guide through the process, so well done and thank you again.

I hope Grey Arrows recognises your help here.

Of course, I followed the steps for a certified digital signature but this was rejected by e-aan. So am now going snail mail. Sometimes the old tried and tested methods work best.

I got my EASA certificate from Cyprus, the only proof required was to upload a scan of a utility bill so registering was pretty easy and all electronic (also I think may have been a bit cheaper).

1 Like

I did mine myself via Adobe and didn’t need to send by post.

I apologise if my previous replies were not helpful, but it is has been a while.

I also can’t recall how I did Adobe, but I probably googled the answer and all was good.

Success!!!

Mailed the signed declaration and tracked it. Arrived Wednesday in Portugal. Emailed them today to see if they had received it and they said no. About 2 hours later I received an email to say my registry has been approved!!

A HUGE thank you to Ben6600.

2 Likes

If anyone wants help in getting all they need to fly outside of the UK, contact me or Ben6600, I’m sure he won’t mind me saying that, and we will guide you through the process.

1 Like

Outstanding! I said they were efficient.

2 Likes

So, heres the latest:

I currently have an Operator ID that is valid in Portugal, having obtained that in Ireland

I currently have world wide liability insurance

I have an account with Autoridade Aeronutica Nacional, e-AAN, which allows me to apply for flights. I have applied for flights in Portugal and Madeira. I have been given permission for Portugal, Madeira will be given, hopefully, closer to when I go there.

I have permission from Autoridade Maritima Nacional, who got permission from Autoridade Aeronáutica Nacional, to fly over coastlines, beaches and sea providing I follow the Drone Code.

Mini 2 labelled with Euro Op ID. Three lithium batteries, one in drone, 3 spare as per airline regulations, certificates, ID’s, spare parts, you never know. All I need now is to get out there, fly and photo / video graph!

1 Like

Also, if anyone wants help with applying for flights in e-AAN, let me know. There is an instructional video but is in Portuguese. Most of the selections are drop down boxes where you select an option, you have to choose if you’re flying over sea or not, what route are you flying; circular, straight or multi angled, height, corridor and so forth.

If you’re flying over coastline, beach and or sea you need permission from the Captain of the Coastguard of the area you wish to fly in. Again, I can help.

2 Likes

I’m off to Portugal on Monday, and was considering taking my Mini 2 with me. Had been watching this thread with interest. However, think I’ve left it a bit late now to get everything done, so will have a drone-less holiday. Maybe next time!

1 Like