Portugal & drones: anything I should know?

If you havent registered for a Euro Operator ID and with e-AAN, then yeah, its a bit late. Need about a week to register with e-AAN by sending a signed declaration if you cant do it digitally.

If you need anything, just ask. I’m heading to Portugal Sunday to Olhos de Água for coastal aerial photography, hence why I needed to contact Autoridade Maritima Nacional.

Have a good trip! I’m off to Sintra. Never been that far North before, so will be interesting

Lovely there and a nice walk down to Villamoura almost all on the beach (dependant on the tide on one little bit)

The other way towards Lagos is the nicer coastline and as far as Sagres has lots of drone opportunities ;o)

4 Likes

Can’t say I tried that. I will next time I am in the Algarve.

They were quite happy letting me fly over a large area of the Algarve once I hadn’t selected Faro airport :joy: :joy:

1 Like

I guess it’s possible to fly without permission but being someone that enforces laws in the UK, I cant afford to break UK or other laws for fear of losing my job. Comes with the territory as they say.

1 Like

hi, have done part 1 and 3 certs via Luxembourg and have permission from Portugal to fly area round Albruferia. would like info on coast flights round there if you have numbers/emails of people i need permission from,please

Hi,

Absolutely, even though it is AAN that controls the Portuguese Air Space, Autoridade Maritima Nacional have jurisdiction over coastline, sea and beaches.

For Albufeira you need to email the Captain of Portimão on

capportimao.escriva@amn.pt

They normally contact AAN anyway for authorisation then give you permission.

Should you get permission they’ll send you an email stating the following:

" Regarding the request for the use of a drone, you are informed that it received the following order:

Favorable after presentation of authorization from the National Aeronautical Authority;
Flight operations must be interrupted in the event of search and rescue actions in the area.
Flight operations over clusters of people, namely beachgoers, are prohibited.
Bear in mind the constraints established in the regulation of POOC Burgau-Vilamoura, RCM no. 33/1999, of 27 April."

1 Like

And here is the result of all that research and hard work working With Portuguese Authorities:

3 Likes

The shot looks slightly disjointed, I believe this was due to satellite and / or signal interference.

Image stitching errors. Nothing more.

2 Likes

As Dave says, stitch errors, the auto stitch really does not like big chunks of the same colour with no real anchor points

Nice part of the world I flew from the bar to your left ;o)

2 Likes

Olhos D’Agua

2 Likes

Hello from the USA! I’ve been following this thread about flying my drone in Portugal, and I’m pretty discouraged about ever making it happen. I tried on my own to register as a drone operator through AAN, so I can take pictures/videos, but ran into the problem of the digital authentication key. You mentioned that you physically signed a form and mailed it to them. Can you tell me where to find that form and to whom to mail it? If I can get registered as an operator, I will try to navigate the whole mess of asking for local permissions in the Algarve area. I travel there in May.

Discouraged in Miami,
MiamiLarry

Hi Larry,

Are you registered with e-AAN? Once registered they email the access password and procedures to perform to submit applications for flights:

In that email you’ll get an attachment which is the declaration form. Print it, date and sign in black ink and post by mail to the address they give you. I sent mine by tracked and traced, ie. I know when they receive it, make sure you put your return address on it. Give the form time to reach Portugal, from the USA, but eventually your e-AAN account will become verified.

Have you got a European Operator ID? You’ll need that as well as world wide 3rd party liability. Dont forget as well, if you wish to fly over coastline, beaches etc, you’ll need permission from the Maritima Nacional = Coastguard. To do that you need to know which Coastguard covers which area. PORTIMÃO covers Albufeira for example. Then you email that Coastguard requesting permission.

As a tip, it helps to email in both English and Portuguese, the reply you get will be in Portuguese:

That was my Maritima Nacional authorisation for earlier this year.

Hope this information helps. Any further questions or help, dont hesitate to ask.

1 Like

I have already obtained my Euro operator ID/certificate. Since I will only bring my Mini 2, I believe the liability policy is optional. Thanks for the help with the Coastguard issue.

1 Like

I’ve been watching this thread with interest. My little post way back when seems to have ballooned somewhat. I have to say I applaud everyone’s diligence and adherence to the rules, getting the required permissions. It looks like things have improved a great deal since I went - it was very difficult to work out what the processes were back then, so I just flew and figured I’d apologise if I missed something.

That said, the Portuguese all seemed very friendly, relaxed and generally interested in watching the drone fly about. In one case, too much so. I was trying to get a shot of a deserted beach and he just say there in his little dinghy, watching. Ho-hum.

Hello

I’ll be going to Madeira for a holiday and I would like to use my DJI mini 2 drone to capture some pictures and video for memories.
I’ve passed the Luxembourg training
I did sent a declaration and I have got eAAN active now

Can somebody advice me about an insurance? What insurers are you guys using abroad?

thnx

1 Like

I am a member of BMFA, which offers worldwide insurance, as i am a member of a flying club, I also use the following:

I will be heading to Madeira in December, looking forward to some aerial photography then too.