Positive News reports Do you have one?

While we hear so many negatives about drone use Have you had a positive experience where a drone pilot was able to do some good deed?

1 Like

There’s money in it!

https://www.dubaifuture.gov.ae/our-initiatives/drones-for-good-award/

1 Like

The “press” is only interested in ratings and good news does not sell. “Drone Pilot nearly kills Prince Charles” sells much better than “Drone pilot rescues “Fluffy” the cat from a tree”. Well, unless “Fluffy” pulls a face or attacks the pilot :frowning: Then it will get big numbers on YouTube.

1 Like

Rephrase, the press is only interested in advertising space.

End of.

1 Like

:rofl:

I work with Police forces throughout England and Wales and particularly Police Search Advisors who are out searching for missing persons. A lot of forces now employ drones to carry out the role which normally is carried out by Police Helicopter which are expensive and a long time to get on tasks. Drone are deployed straight from patrol cars and in the air within minutes using thermal imaging especially at night. It is also employed to search for those who have been a bit naughty and not wanting to hang around to have a chat with police. If you are on twitter, follow the force drone teams and it is all full of great news.

2 Likes

Thank you that’s just the kind of reply I think we All need to cheer us up a bit :grinning:

1 Like

Police force on Twitter whatever next? The President of the USA :us: :-1: :see_no_evil: :rofl:

1 Like

Here is a great example from yesterday…

#dronesforgood

1 Like

How do they do this?

Are they not required to do some sort of risk assessment? Paperwork? Distances from buildings, people, etc?

Or can the police fly outside the regular PfCO rules?

I genuinely don’t know :man_shrugging:

1 Like

The police all PfCO quailfied drone pilots and undertake training like all other PfCO pilots. They undertake risk assessments prior to all flights, the only difference is that all Emergency Services have been issued a standing Operational Safety case by the CAA to operate outside some rules. It is a bit like driving a police car in excess of the speed limit. All very highly trained and experienced pilots.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Elderly Vulnerable We should be happy for him/her and the family surly Imagine if it was our Mum or Dad

Glad the Police officers in London didn’t have to sit & write Risk assessments & method statements 1st before they shot that lad in London the other day Even if as it would seem one of the injured was as a result of flying glass (presumably from straying bullet) If they got that totally wrong then they will have to answer for their actions meantime we all will feel safer

1 Like

Sorry if that may have sounded a bit like a rant but I’m proud of our Emergency services. They plan & train for nearly every eventuality unlike some of the Cowboy antics you see Sometimes from our ‘hoped for future trading partners’ from over the pond

1 Like

Sorry folks, but I’m going to have to go against the grain here. It just doesn’t count to include PfCO certified staff in the police force. They are already on the inside of the organization so they will get a pass if they misbehave. We need positive news stories where members of the public who have become certified do something to help out. That’s going to be a “good news” story.

Don’t get me wrong, well done to these pilots for helping to locate people in distress, but when they use the drone to hunt for potential naughty people they are not going to be worrying about disturbing the public and the public will look out of their windows and condemn drones as a nuisance - All painted with the same brush.

That does not help us hobbyists.

Sorry to be the dessenting voice here, it’s just how I personally feel.

1 Like

There are a few over here.

1 Like

I agree with your comments here However having experienced a full sized Police Helicopter hovering over the house on more than one occasion in the middle of the night low enough to ‘rattle windows’ I think I’d prefer to look out and see a drone with a little blue flashing lights if I noticed it at all do they have blue lights @Shambleclown

People will just accept a full scale helicopter because they are used to it and it promotes some interest in what’s going on, also, it is not normal for the pilot to be untrained or uncertified. Drones (and drone pilots) are so regularly vilified that people see trouble and wrong-doing in every sighting, regardless of whether that fear and suspicion are justified.

Well I have to say the roof tiles bouncing the windows rattling and the dogs barking at 3am certainly gets my interest :rofl:

Funny you should say that. Some of them are now being fitted with blue flashing lights.

1 Like