Posting and shipping couriers that handle drone batteries on their own

Hmm, not sure that is the answer?.
Items with internal batteries, yes (mobile phones, etc)
Problem is that they can destroy the item if it is not declared, with no compensation !.
Not a risk I want to take, especially as I am doing it for someone else, not me.

Try apc
https://www.componentshop.co.uk/postage-rules/

£47 !!, I don’t think so !, be cheaper to drive there !

1 Like

I had exactly the same problem Chris.
I sold a brand new battery on eBay and charged for Royal Mail Signed for postage. When I spoke with my local post office, I know them really well, they said you can post a battery up to a certain size, but it has to be connected to the item. They also said that they occasionally scan items, any batteries found that were not sent correctly are destroyed and there was no recompense.
It’s a nightmare. In the end I drove down about 2 hours each way to drop the battery off. For £4.00.

On the other hand, someone sent me the fly more kit through the post and it arrived no problem. I’ve also bought multiple aircraft and spare batteries in the past and had them delivered by courier, Amazon, Royal Mail etc and never had any issue.

That’s just my experience and as well as Royal Mail I tried all the usual couriers to send it, but they all had these recently introduced restrictions on batteries.
I hope you 2 can sort something out between you

Found this on Royal Mail website for info:

Batteries not connected to or posted with the device it is intended to power

Batteries that are classified as dangerous goods and certain used batteries (including wet spillable lead acid/lead alkaline batteries (such as car batteries), used alkaline metal, nickel metal hydride (NiMH), nickel cadmium (NiCd), zinc-air batteries, solo lithium batteries, power banks and damaged batteries of any type)

• International - Not allowed in the mail
  • UK - Not allowed in the mail

Batteries, specifically new and used lithium batteries when not sent with or connected to an electronic device (including power banks)

Batteries, specifically new alkaline metal, nickel metal hydride (NiMH), nickel cadmium (NiCd), zinc-air and zinc chloride Including D, C, 9V, AA, AAA and AAAA alkaline batteries.

• UK & International - Allowed in the mail, with restrictions and packaging guidelines below:
    • Must be new and sent unopened in their original retail packaging.
    • Surround with cushioning material e.g. bubble wrap.
    • The sender’s name and return address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging.

Batteries - new wet, non-spillable (e.g. sealed lead acid batteries, absorbed glass mat and gel cell batteries)

• International - Not allowed in the mail
  • UK - Allowed in the mail, with restrictions and packaging guidelines below:
    • Batteries must comply with Special Provision 238 of the UN Recommendations on the Transport of Dangerous Goods, Model Regulations (please check with the manufacturer or distributor).
    • No more than one battery in any one parcel.
    • Maximum weight 1.5kg.
    • Item must be protected against short circuit (by insulation of exposed terminals) and securely packaged.
    • Package must be marked. “NOT RESTRICTED” and “SPA67 / SP238”.
    • The sender’s name and return address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging.
1 Like

Royal Mail shouldn’t be a problem … for three, total.

MP batteries are only 43.6Wh.
Total less than 5kg weight.

That document is from here.

2 Likes

Brilliant news.
Anyway, I enjoyed the 4 hour total drive time, the scenery was brilliant on the M6.
Good old local post office giving out shit information.
Hope they close them down now.
You go in for advice and they talk a load of bollocks, when you eventually get to the counter after the 30 min wait.

1 Like

Google does save all of that. 30secs max, and free. :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks for that Dave.
Really helpful,

1 Like

Somewhere, some while ago, that same document has been posted on GADC before … although I couldn’t find it.

1 Like

The question is now, do I, or Don’t I send by Royal Mail!.
Remember ,I am piggy in the middle here !, just doing a favour for a mate, and ,a member.
I don’t want to send it, then find I get a letter from PO saying that my/his package has been destroyed because it is illegal, I am the one who has to suck the loss ! !.
You can see the case it is going to be packed in, strong, padded, secure…

1 Like

Send them Chris.
The issue you will have is the same as me, when you get to the Post Office counter.
Don’t ask for advice, just advise them they are packaged correctly and within the allowable limits.
They will put a special hazard warning label on the package, but definitely declare the parcel has batteries within it.

Thanks guys for all your input.
I have decided that it’s easier to simply meet the person and hand over everything.
At least I know it will get there in one piece.

2 Likes

Its a pain in the ar@%,but as you say, much better, and know it will get there in one piece, think that is what I would do too, plus bonus points, you get to meet another GADC, er !!,never know, you may find an interesting place for a quickie,yes Chris,thats a DRONE FLIGHT ,not what you were obviously thinking !!!:wink::wink::rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Better pack the “KY Jelly” for the morning then Tony, as well as Michael’s drone !!

1 Like

OH,ERR you little monkey, no drones for you, cheeky monkey!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

If you see on the News !
“Man Arrested for Indecency in McDonald’s in Kings Lynn”
I will be me !

1 Like

IF,it mentions a drone as well, then you really are in the brown stuff…will come and visit yer thought have a larf…:+1::+1::rofl::rofl::wink:

You should know all about “Drones in the Shit” !:poop:

1 Like

YES indeed ,glad I did,nt have to retrieve Karls drone from the middle of that pile of shit !!!:wink::rofl::rofl:

1 Like