Proximity of rescue helicopter

I certainly wouldn’t sell it, notch it down as one of life’s many mistakes and move on :+1:t3: maybe to a big field to play in :grin:

4 Likes

No harm was done Colin just mark it down as a mistake to learn from, we’ve all made them and anyone who says they haven’t is lying. You will regret selling your kits. Keep smiling and flying. :+1:

3 Likes

I was out on Saturday with my done, flying, taking photos and enjoying myself. Heard a Helicopter, could not see it, so dropped Drone down to just above the ground. Kept looking but could not see where helicopter was, but sound moved away. Once It was clear went back to flying. About 45 mins later, while on second flyout, heard Helicopter again, did same dropped drone down to ground level, looked up and behind me and had a nice view of Air Ambulance flying over where I was standing. All safe and sound and no danger to the Air Ambulance.

Just remember that if the Air Ambulance crew had seen your Drone, they would more then likely not been able to take of with there casualty.

Not worth giving up, but worth learning from it and being Safe for everyone :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Unfortunately, I have taken some stick over this on Facebook and I really don’t need the hassle and I still don’t know if there will be a knock at the door by some organisation wanting to know what I was up to, so selling it shows my willingness to reform! + I might buy a different model next year.

No need to give up something you enjoy, no harm was done.
Take a short break, reevaluate and come back wiser.

1 Like

There are no distances and no rules in the ANO. On the continent they ask all drones to land if emergency services are on site. In the UK it might be prudent to not fly so that the helicopter can depart safely at a moments notice. If you are to negotiate with the helicopter crew then you might be able to come up with a decinfliction plan. I would also suggest that on a rescue that would not be an appropriate time. At the end of the dat understand ANO Articles 95(2) and 240 and 241. Only the drone pilot can justify his actions. If it goes to a court of law you will need to have your ducks in a row if the rescue services believe anyone has harmed their operations.

1 Like

Other than sending the photos to the CAA its the worst place you could have put them.

2 Likes

Or, you could just keep it and carry on with a hobby you enjoy :+1:t2:

4 Likes

I flew my drone to get some pictures of our local air ambulance landed in a park. However they had shut down and I asked the pilot prior to making the flight. Would I fly if the engine was still on and blades turning, no chance. As others have mentioned there is the risk if they take off. Personally I would also be worried about the drone drifting / flying towards helicopter and potentially getting caught in the blades.

If you won Euromillions and gave it all to charity, some FB-ites would give you flack.

Perhaps FlackBook is a better name.

Ignore them. They just bay for more blood wherever they can find it.

The people here will totally understand the temptation, and even the oversight by not giving the situation full consideration.
As someone has said above, there won’t be one of us that hasn’t pushed a boundary at some point and subsequently thought “That was a tad silly!”.

I know I have. :raised_hand: (In fact I recall a very silly!)

As drone-policing goes, not one of the above comments has ripped into you … perhaps realising their own history wouldn’t take excessive scrutiny too well … but offered their own reasoning (given an armchair to sit in whilst they contemplated a reply).

If you normally enjoy flying your drone, please hang on to it and carry on doing so.

:+1:

7 Likes

Taken directly from the CAA website in relation to emergency situations. From what you have said you didn’t get in the way or cause any issues. So just put it behind you, learn from the experience and move on pal no harm done. :+1:t2:

3 Likes

Thank you for your kind comments, even the critical ones are kinder than the crap I took on Facebook but the fact still remains that someone managed to put the three pictures I took, even though I deleted them within minutes and they are posted in the review of the rescue uploaded by one of the coastguard.

As Dave implied, Facebook is full of keyboard warriors who want attention and stick their oar in.
I’ve done it in the past and I’m not proud of it. Too many conflicting opinions. Points of view.

You do what you want. LIsten to yourself. That’s the only person you can trust and has the best interests of you at heart.

1 Like

Maybe email them, apologise and realised your mistake. Try not to worry

1 Like

If I was critized on here I would listen, learn and adjust my attitude (maybe).

Facebook is full of people looking to make themselves feel good. Not all, but many take great pleasure in spouting shit about which they know little. I emplore you to think hard about selling your drone.

If you exceeded the speed limit and admitted it on facebook, got tw4ts abusing you, would you sell the car?

Well, there’s the problem, Social media is toxic It allows the ill-informed and the antagonistic free rein to spew their venom with no thought of the consequences,

If you feel you must give up something give up the thing that causes you grief,

GIVE UP FACEBOOK!

And continue to enjoy flying your aircraft and report your adventures to everyone in here :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Thanks but I am committed now and at my age I don’t want any hassle. I will review my situation in the new year and go from there.
I really do appreciate the encouragement I have been given tonight and the fair criticism. Some people are old at 75 but I’m a young 75 and next year I will look for a new challenge without dropping myself in the shit!!

Seems the easier of the 2 options.

7 Likes

Hi Colin,
I have read this thread with interest, mate. Whilst I am not really in a position to comment myself, what I do agree with are the comments above about not giving up and selling your drone. This really is a fantastic hobby. I,d really think twice about throwing it in, mate.

1 Like

I suppose as good a way as any to approach such a situation is to consider the area around the Helicopter (or any other full size aircraft which for example may be using a field) as an active airfield, so a restricted zone. Unless it’s an unpowered glider :wink:

But I can understand the temptation. I bet there are very few of us that have not at some time broken the drone code by flying out of sight using FPV even though it is not strictly allowed. Easy thing to do even by chance, particularly if you have a very small drone like the MM. Let he who throws the first stone…

And yes of course, don’t sell your drone, I’m sure the lesson has been well and truly learnt.

Cheers,
Peter