Pulteney Bridge - Added to Rivers and Canals in South West

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission not required.

Parking: Sports and leisure centre car park
TOAL: 51.382300, -2.356309

I parked at the Sports and leisure centre car park, about 3 minutes walk south of the bridge, on the east side of the River Avon. Parking cost £1.70 for an hour using the MiPermit app. The bridge is very close to Bath Cathedral and St John The Evangelist's Church, so you can make the most of your visit.

One of the most photographed examples of Georgian architecture in the city and one of only four bridges in the world to have shops across its full span on both sides, Pulteney Bridge was designed in 1769 by Robert Adam.

The bridge is named after Frances Pulteney, wife of William Johnstone Pulteney. William was an important man in Georgian Bath, owning a lot of land in the surrounding area. He had grand plans to create a 'new town' to rival that of John Wood's on the west side of the city.

His grand scheme needed a new bridge and he didn't want just any old bridge, he wanted a spectacular bridge, one which everyone would talk about. The architecture is classical, with pediments, pilasters and tiny leaded domes at either end.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 05/02/2023. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

4 Likes

We need a new GADC forum category - "Weir to fly your drone."

@clinkadink Lucky enough to visit the beautiful Florence before lockdown and walked over the Ponte Vecchio. Going to Venice in June so the Ponte di Rialto is on our to do list. Prob end up at Bath soon so 3 out of 4 aint bad. Germany is not on my wish list so unlikely to visit that one. :grin:

Ah, that’s the Italian just to the right of the bridge. Looks good!

It’s fab. Just don’t go between October and January. It floods and stinks of sewage. And pay the extra money to get a ‘James Bond stylee’ wooden speed boat from the main land. I did, and it was the best bit about the visit :wink:

1 Like

Actually going to Lake Garda end of June and there is a day trip to Venice so making a list of where to go in advance so not waste time so all good… I hope! :rofl:

Us Black Country blokes have already got “Weer to fly your drone”!

2 Likes

And the North East has "Wear to … ". :wink:

2 Likes