Quick flight over the now derelict Marley Tiles site

Based in Ebchester, County Durham, the site used to manufacture various types of roof tiles before it’s closure in 1997 and was a major employer in the area.
Planning permission was sought to build 105 homes on the site but the application was turned down and now just vandalised and falling into disrepair.

7 Likes

It always saddens me to see derelict industrial buildings.
I hope some of the people that worked there manage to see your video.
Well filmed and appropriate music well done. Thank you.

2 Likes

thanks Clive, I did want to get lower and in amongst the buildings but there is no site access and no idea what cables are strung between the buildings, so didn’t want to chance it with being a new flyer…

Interesting place, my Dad’s side of the family are all from that area and I remember riding my bike to the Consett Steel Works in the early 1970s.

Thanks, and good to see an aerial view of the place, having been past it many times over the years going between Durham and Hexham.

I echo the comments about the dereliction - and thanks to spherehopper for the 28DL piece.

Although the Marley address was indeed Ebchester, County Durham, I’ve always thought that the actual site is in Northumberland, as the road to it goes over the Derwent river, which is the county border line.

Loads of explores of this on YouTube

Hi Rob,

I think you’re correct about the site now coming under Northumberland as it was Northumberland County Council who rejected the development for housing being built on the site - probably changed years ago when they moved all the boundaries…

Wise move!
I reckon the height was about right to take in the size of the site.
I think we all tend to try and get that better shot by getting closer!

1 Like

I got sick with all the vigorous panning in that Urban Exploration piece so had to switch off before half way. Shame he doesn’t allow comments :wink: