Ramblers campaign to preserve Public Rights of Way

I’ve tagged this under Drone Discussion because it’s relevant to where we can fly our drones.

Did you know that Rights of Way which haven’t been officially mapped by 2026 will automatically cease to be Rights of Way at that time?

The Ramblers Association have launched a mapping project to allow members of the public to compare present-day and historic maps to try and identify paths that should be added to the official Rights of Way mapping.

If interested, see Find Map Save - Ramblers for more details.

4 Likes

Why don’t the government just make one rule for All

“You are not allowed to have any form of fun or enjoyment in life it’s the law

4 Likes

It’s set in law. I seem to remember it’s in the Countryside Rights of Way Act.

Don’t ask me why someone thought that would be a good idea!

1 Like

Just bumped into this.

Not directly related to the topic, but interesting, general interest, info on England/Wales Open Access.

1 Like

KInder Scout Mass Trespass was a major landmark in the establishment of some rights of access to areas of open country in the UK.

Unfortunately I doubt whether a mass trespass of NT open country airspace with drones would result in other than summary confiscation of said drones and jail time and/or large fines for participants and probably the ultimate banning of drones altogether. Times have gone full circle.

Good on them - they should be supported by ANY outdoor types ( like us ) 100%. Keep them pathways open !!!

1 Like

When I use to “green lane” on legal byways ramblers hated it…even when sat at home the thought of a 4X4 driving a legal and dry byway seemed to infuriate them, even though they had not even walked it, did not want to walk it or could not even find it if they tried and the anti 4X4 came on…just like drones lol
The thiong is that when they had TRO’s put on the said green lane (byways) no one visited it anymore including them ! the byways overgrew and landowners took it over even placeing fences on them and making it a feild going as far as placing no tresspass signs up so the people that campained for ugly 4X4’s t stop using them actually lost them by their own fault.
They should join forces with us and 4X4 owners I thought we were suppose to get out in the country more ?

Tribal warfare it’s being going on for millennia :thinking:

2 Likes

Yep sure has…every one has an “opinion”

1 Like

Well having owned some land with a public right of way and a permissive right of way, I would say the rule should be do away with them, the grief I had with joe public thinking they could just go where they liked, no repsect, no regard for the animals, never again would I even think about buying anywhere with a public right of way across it.

2 Likes

If I remember correctly, it could be the 20 year rule this could mean if the legislation was passed under the radar in 2006 then if it’s not all done by 2026 then the right will cease to exist, it works the other way, if you have a permissive path every so often(before 20 yearshave passed) you have to shut it off to the public and register the fact you have shut it otherwise if you forget after (you guessed it) 20 years it will become a right of way and you no longer have control over that piece of land that you own.

2 Likes

Aww yes, the ‘my rights means I can trample over others rights brigade’

There the ones who ‘rubber duck it up for All’ :angry: :rage:

No, the date of 1 January 2026 was “hard-coded” into the CROW Act, see http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2000/37/section/56. I can only guess this was to provide a bit of impetus to properly recording PROWs, because otherwise it never moves up the agenda of local authorities.

1 Like

This five minute video explains why many footpaths have been “lost”

2 Likes

Added your post to an original thread on this important subject. :+1:

3 Likes

This thread is about the Ramblers Association and their campaign to ensure existing public rights of way are properly recorded and preserved.

Some may be interested in a new campaign which plans to do more than that, and to extend the right to roam in England and Wales (there is already a broad right in Scotland):

https://www.righttoroam.org.uk/

Anyone struggling to find places simply to peacefully fly their drone without disturbing others will soon discover quite how much of our land is private and inaccessible. This new campaign looks to create new rights to roam in downland, Green Belt, woodlands, rivers and river banks. More on the background: