RC Recommendation F450 Firewheel

Hi All,
I have been given a DJI F450 Firewheel.
It needs a Transmitter and receiver.
Recommendations welcome.
Regards
Gavin

There are hundreds to choose from. Does you 450 have a camera attached? What is your budget?

Without knowing anything about yout needs I’d recommend this - capable of 9 channels and comes with a receiver, Will grow with you if you add functions to the 450 and will sell on easily if you move to a ready made solution like a Mavic.

2 Likes

Nice gift!

I need to find me some friends like these :smiley:

Thank you for getting back so quickly.
There is no camera at the minute, though I would like to put one on it and capture video and stills.

:rofl: :joy: :rofl:

How much do you know about building your own drone and setting it up? It can be a PITA, especially getting it to fly really well after initial setup. I think there are enough of us who have been down the flamewheel route to answer any questions you will most certainly haVE :slight_smile:

Bless you. All help gratefully accepted.
I shall do my utmost in cracking it. I helped my son out about three years ago with the wiring. It’s the configuration programming I shall need the most help with.
Lastly camera and gimbal idea.
Regards Gavin

1 Like

How far do you want to fly? Crossfire has a fantastic range. Although it’s a little more pricey.

1 Like

Hi Gavin (@Gavel1969).

Out of curiosity what flight controller is your F450 using?

I’ve built a fair few F450’s with different Flight controllers (Naza, APM, Pixhawk, KK2, FlyShark) and in some cases certain transmitter/receiver combo’s can complement particular flight controllers.

As an example I have a F450 clone using a Pixhawk flight controller. In this particular instance I use a TX/RX made by Skydroid. As well as controlling the quad all telemetry is passed back to the Groundstation (Android tablet or phone) along with 720pHD video. This system claims a 10km to 15km range for video and 20km to 30km range for control and telemetry. It’s also relatively cheap, usual price is between £100 to £120 (I paid £80 from eBay) and that includes the transmitter, 10ch receiver, camera, and all mounting and cable hardware.

For all my Naza equipped models I would use FrSky. My transmitter is a Taranis X9D but it’s beginning to show it’s age and I’m close to pulling the trigger on a Radiomaster TX16S. The TX16S is a very sophisticated radio and will work with all the major protocols but price wise it starts at £120 for the non-touch-screen version. The reason I use FrSky on these is because I’ve spent time, and a bit of money, setting these camera ships up and the FrSky X protocol is one of the most robust out there. Also a simple Arduino type interface allows for all the Naza telemetry (speed, height, location, etc) to be sent back to the radio’s inbuilt screen and logged on the radio’s SD card.

I have a F450 using an old KK2 board and on this I use a cheap generic Flysky system, much like the one linked by @macspite. This is because this quad is a basher, or funflyer, I fly LOS in Acro mode so range/link quality is not a concern.

As Robert (@macspite) has said, some more info on the F450 and your future intentions will help in choosing the right system. If this is just a one off thing then the linked Turnigy9X with AFHDS module is ample. But if you think you can see yourself going deeper into this kind of thing, along with some fixed wing stuff, I would consider stepping up on the gear as it will be an investment. I’ve had my Taranis X9D for about seven years now and in that time I’ve used it with just about anything that can be Radio Controlled.

Nidge.

1 Like

Hiya Nidge,
It has the NAZA onboard, and TBH, at this time I’m not sure how deep I will go. It’s more of a tinker and a play. I love photography and to be able to throw a drone up into the air and to get aerial shot is about all I’m interested in. My boy let me borrow his Phantom 3 and then his Spark for a while and it sparked an interest. I used his spark at work to take some aerial video of a system we had built so we could show the customer, so I would probably do the same again.
Regards
Gavin

Hi Ice Flyer,

I cannot see me wanting to fly more than 500m at the 400ft ceiling.

Regards
Gavin