Recreational drone flying in New Zealand

Anyone on here been to, going to, or from New Zealand and can shed some light on applying for permission to fly?

I’ve looked at the local council and DoC websites and I understand the need for permits and the restrictions around some of the parks and Conservation Land, but I was hoping for a little guidance as I’m finding the information a bit confusing. I am aware of, and will comply with, the Part 101 rules, which will cover all of my flying activities. I have a Flyer ID and Operator ID issued by the UK’s CAA.

I am also aware that I need to contact local councils for their approval, but I’m unclear on the areas of responsibility for each body.

If you have any help or guidance for me I would be very appreciative. Cheers.

Welcome to GADC, @Legandir / Steve.

1 Like

You need to get in touch with Bruce “XJET” he lives in NZ I don’t think he is on this site, he is on YouTube. Give him a msg via that.

Ahh Bruce was on a Geeksvana live show a few weeks ago. Talks a lot of sense. Seems NZ has a more relaxed approach towards drone legislation than the CAA.

Fabulous. Thank you.

I have family out in North Island and from what I gather with the exception of flying over centres of population and airports you are pretty much allowed to fly where you like. But as always it pays to er on the side of caution.

No personal experience but, in relation to something totally different, someone posted this link that may be of assistance …

https://www.aviation.govt.nz/drones/part-101-rules-for-drones/

Also, NZ is very protective of their marine wildlife - and this may shed light on that.

1 Like

Terrific! Thank you.

1 Like

Thanks for that. It was the conclusion I was coming to, with the exception of anycDoC land and national parks.

Hi Steve,

Just found this post as I’m off to New Zealand - just wondering if you got to fly over there, and if so any advice?

Read the 101 stuff and info on councils and national parks etc, but wondering if you have any practical experience on this now?

Cheers,

John…

Hi John,

First off, I hope you enjoy NZ as much as we did. It’s a fantastic place, full of great places and the people are terrific.

As far as flying a drone goes, there are a number of things that cropped up while we were there.

It’s pretty much possible to fly where you want, except that you can’t fly where you really want to. To explain that statement, there are quite a few restrictions around the spectacular and touristy places, which are the areas that you would most like to film or photograph from the air. The Department of Conservation (who do an otherwise wonderful job) are very restrictive about drone flying. You’ll see “No Drones” signs all over the place on land that they control - which is pretty much all the bits you’d want to go to, from Cape Reinga in the north, any of the national parks (Aoraki/Mount Cook or Fiordland for instance) and places like Castle Hill.

There is a scheme for getting permits to fly for some of these places, but after I got knocked back for 3 or 4 applications I gave up :frowning_face:

Added to this, the New Zealanders are (quite rightly) very protective of their marine wildlife, so coastal areas have many restrictions as well, especially around whale or dolphin areas. And there’s bloody birds everywhere!

In addition, there are many small local airfields, as well as the commercial airports, which have their own restrictions. You can work around these to a great extent, but small aircraft and helicopter flying is a problem for drones. I was flying near Franz Josef Glacier, just around the AirBNB we were at and outside of any restrictions, but I had to rapidly land when a low flying egg-whisk made a close pass over us.

Local authorities have their own set of rules and restrictions about flying over their assets, such as buildings, parks and some roads., and the Maori people are entitled to their say about sacred places as well.

Having said all that, there were still a lot of good opportunities to fly. There is an app called AirShare which is excellent, and I suppose it’s down to how much of a rule-follower you are. I tend to be a bit goody-two-shoes when it comes to this sort of thing, so I didn’t fly as much as maybe I could. Still got some good footage though.

I hope this helps you, and doesn’t come across as too depressing. Like I said, NZ is an amazing place - so much so that I sort of forgot about the drone for large periods because of the places and things we were seeing! Hope you have a great time!

2 Likes

Hi Steve,

Many thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

Like you it appears " I tend to be a bit goody-two-shoes", and have already had a play on AirShare to have a look at restrictions in place around where I’ll be travelling. Fair to say there are a lot of restrictions in the places I’m going - and the number of small aircraft and helicopters is another level over there compared to here.

Once I’ve finalised my plans I think I need to properly evaluate whether to take my drone - as you indicate a lot of the “best bits of NZ” have heavy restrictions, and I don’t want to be disrespectful or dangerous to their environment in any way.

Thanks again for your response, good to get some practical views as well as from what I’ve read.

Cheers,

John…

Have a word with Xjet, he is based in NZ and could give you some advice

https://twitter.com/xjet