RF shielding tips wanted for gps

Have you ruled out a faulty GPS module? By swapping the module with your 7" to see if you have the same issue?

2 Likes

Tried it mate. The distance I need would make it look rubbish and more importantly, it would be fragile in a crash. Though to be fair, its my only option at the moment.

1 Like

Yeah. Iā€™ve tried 4 of the fackers

2 Likes

Thats a good shout Deano

How about copper taping the GPS wires to minimise the noise? Although Iā€™ve routed my GPS wires underneath my motor wires and under my ESC and I still get a sat lock. So maybe itā€™s the actual GPS antenna thatā€™s getting the interference :thinking:

1 Like

What VTX are you using on the 5" and 7" ? Whatā€™s the difference? And is it worth swapping VTX from the 7" to the 5" ? It may be less prone to giving interference

1 Like

Hi mate @notveryprettyboy canā€™t remember if you answered thisā€¦
Are you sure you have a good 5v supply to the GPS unit both before and after the VTX is powered up?
I think you said the GPS gets its power from the FC 5v regulator, where does VTX get its power?

1 Like

This is something I will try. I havenā€™t yet as the interference seems to be radiation and not conductive. I will make a proper cable. And try a ferrite core too.

You know how it is. You beat yourself up and end up going in circles.

2 Likes

The vtx is off the lipo. But I can try a separate 5v reg for the gpsā€¦

1 Like

As @SirGunner suggests might be worth swapping the VTXs over with your 7" see if that makes a difference?

1 Like

Um the vtx on the 7" wont fit on the 5"

2 Likes

Where abouts have you tried to mount the GPS? Maybe try mounting it to an arm (I know itā€™s more susceptible to prop strikes) but might be worth a shot just to see if it makes a difference?

2 Likes

I have tried mounting it on the arm, but it kept dropping out.
The best position at the moment is hereā€¦ as you can see, it would be vulnerable.
I could put the vtx under the fc, but it means I have to clean the mud off. And its a ballache

1 Like

:rofl:

1 Like

How about mounting it out the back from the rear standoffs?

1 Like

I will try this. But the distance I need will be long. Suppose I could make it look like a lizzard tail :laughing:

1 Like

Isnā€™t that right on top of the VTX Antenna?

1 Like

Yep. But the antenna is 5.8ghz. Gps is 1.2 ish? The vtx must be kicking out 1.2 somewhere. Also, the top of the antenna is a null point

1 Like

Just seen a video saying alot of HD cameras can put out alot of RF noise on 1.2 . Is there a chance it could be the camera rather than the vtx itself?

Maybe @Steviegeek is on to something. It might not be the frequency noise, but a voltage problem :thinking:

Yeah, I heard this. Especially runcam, which I have. But I put the gps on the back arm, and it was knocked out.

What bugs me, is that an app on my phone that shows sats gets knocked out too.
Sod it. Iā€™ll email the pcb designerā€¦

1 Like