River Bann, Portadown - Northern Ireland - Added to Rivers and Canals in Northern Ireland

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission not required.

Just to the left of the Pin is an ideal place for parking (free), allowing easy access to the river. There is a towpath that (going North) takes you to the Bann roadbridge (a reasonably photogenic bridge, esp' at night, see 2nd photo below)

The towpath is used regularly for dog walking and cycling, and anglers regularly fish from the banks of the river. TOAL can be from the stoned carpark (if you take off from your car roof) or from the towpath or any of the many anglers points (not sure what they are called, little jutting-out-into-the-river bits)

The Rowing Club holds an annual tournaments which usually draws a crowd.

There are 30+meter tall trees between the carpark and the river, so make sure you set your RTH height high enough if you take off from the carpark.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 03/03/2022. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

3 Likes

Want to come back here to video at night, here’s a (non-drone) photo from ages ago.

Tim

3 Likes

I know it well Tim. I used to do drops to Tesco and often took a break in that wee car park by the river. Any plans to do Oxford Island?

1 Like

Yeah, would like to do Oxford Island, it’s really pretty there. They’ve got a lot of birds there, I wouldn’t want to disturb them if any are nesting (dunno much about birds as to what time/s of the year they nest :thinking: ), I’ll have to do a bit of digging to find out more

Tim

The car park at Oxford Island was another one of my rest stops. I used to be in Lisburn, Craigavon, Portadown, Newry and Banbridge several times a week, but since I left Hovis 5 years ago but I haven’t been down that way. I should really put them on my ‘places to visit’ list. My back-up plan if I arrive somwehere and it’s too wet or windy to fly is an ordinary camera and an Osmo pocket, or, worst case scenario, my phone.