Robin Hood Airport and XH558 Vulcan

Been meaning to go for ages since they closed the place.

@Howard78 lives so close we had to give it a go, thanks to him for finding us a great out of the way spot for TOAL, and for the great as always company.

Lots of security but no one bothered us.

Stills from DJIFPV, video to follow

19 Likes

Always a pleasure mate. Great pictures and good fun flying

4 Likes

I remember seeing one of its last few flights at the Airbourne show in Eastbourne 2015. The sound as it flew by was awesome :star_struck:

3 Likes

Great images there.
Is that plane “parked” permanently on the runway? if so, why?

1 Like

Meet up :thinking:

1 Like

Great images of an awesome plane.
I saw it do a low flypast with the bomb doors open at Elvington.

Nothing comes lose to the sound of the engines screaming.

3 Likes

Last one (in the UK still flying)

Might attract a little too much attention ;o)

I remember them vividly from the 70’s flying over home, awesome sight and noise

2 Likes

I see the Vulcan fly for its last time at RIAT fairford, what was supposed to have been it’s last flight, not sure if it’s flown since, prove it or it didn’t happen :laughing:, I do have photos on a usb somewhere.

2015 last flight

2 Likes

Sadly it will never fly again. The airframe has exceeded its allowed flying hours and insurance won’t cover it.

Xh558 was based here during active service and was based here as a display aircraft and is currently owned by the Vulcan to the fly trust.

Since being retired it has been used for taxi runs as part of the trusts fundraising until the airport was closed earlier this year.

Sadly it’s now in a state of limbo until the future of the airport and more important the home of xh558 is decided

3 Likes

Would love to but the airspace is only just officially open but it’s surrounded by private land which makes flying and being on the right side of the law tricky.

Sadly most ways of checking airspace still show this as an active airfield so most DJI and similar drones won’t work unless hacked (apparently)

You can bet that security and the law don’t understand that we can now fly here and will without doubt not take kind to a drone swarm flyin to the Vulcan.

The airport police station is still active and has lovely armed officers who lets just say don’t tend to ask too many questions

Stealth is the best approach :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Ah ok, that maybe could have been the last year also it flew at RIAT, I’ll check my photos.
I do remember them saying something on the tannoy there.

I will say tho, it looked & sounded a beast for sure.

Yes just checked the history in the link, 2015 RIAT.

Cracking photo’s :+1:t3: mate not sure but think they have one at East Mids in the Aeropark, think I get free admission but never been :man_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

There’s a few that still do taxi runs but don’t take off.
This one does the same but was the last one that flew.
Makes a right noise, can hear it as soon as they start the engines at my house.

1 Like

Awesome photos!!!

1 Like

I unlocked my mini 2 and mini 3pro with no problem just sent a copy of NOTAM 2583/23 with my unlock request. I also printed a copy of the NOTAM and an email and reply from CAA confirming its Class G at present.

1 Like

Where did you TOAL ?

Thank you. Will use this information to get an unlock tomorrow.

From Hayfield Lane which was previously adopted by DMBC and I also TOAL from Old Bawtry Road and High Common Lane.

When you apply for Unlock in section headed UNLOCK APPLICATION REASON I entered the following :
Photography at the now Closed Doncaster Sheffield Airport the FRZ/ ATZ /CTA/CTR are now deactivated until 23:59 Hours on 8th August 2023. Attached is NOTAM 2583/23 confirming this. Airspace is now CLASS G

2 Likes

You also need a copy of NOTAM 2583/23 to attach.

1 Like