RTF 17th to 30th March 2024 - Cliff Edge - Winners Announced!

For this round of RTF, which straddles the vernal equinox, you have chosen Cliff Edge as the topic of the competition With equal amounts of day and night are we going to see as many night shots as those taken during the day? If so - take care on those cliff edges in the dark!

RTF RULES
Scope

The requirement is to submit a still image created using a drone to illustrate the subject of the competition. This round will run from 00:01 Sunday 17th to 23:00 Saturday, March 30th 2024 and the subject is Cliff Edge

The image must be captured during the time that the competition is open. It is a Reason To Fly competition so please show that the image is created by a flying camera!

Editing is confined to colour and exposure adjustments and crop only. There must be no removal or pasting of an object.

Please post only one image, the image you wish to be judged, in this thread.

Images must be posted with the following information as a minimum:

In Capitals as the first line of your post:

THIS IS MY ENTRY

If this is not done at the time of posting the picture will be ignored. Should it be absolutely necessary to change your picture then delete the previous picture and add “This is my entry” - as above - as the first line of your new post. If in any doubt contact the Challenges Committee
(@Challenges_Committee)

Further Information is required

• Aircraft/camera used
  • Feel free to add any further information that you think will be of interest

Voting

Images will be judged by the members of GADC who may vote for any number of images by means of an anonymous poll open for two days after the closing date for competition entries.

Voting in the poll is open to all GADC members, whether they have entered the competition or not.

You may vote for one, all, some or none of the entries.

The original media may be requested by the judges in case of a dispute.

Schedule

The competition subject will be announced every second Saturday around 22:30. The subject will be chosen by a poll of GADC members selecting from three that have been picked at random from the subject list. You may make additions to the list at any time.

The competition will run from Sunday 00.01 to Saturday 23.00 fourteen days later. Voting by poll will be open for a further two days until Monday 22:00

The winner, second and third-placed competitors will be announced shortly after the vote is closed

Have Fun! Be Safe!

All flights are the sole responsibility of the individual conducting them. Each competitor must abide by the drone code and adhere to the limitations and restrictions imposed upon them by aviation law, the aircraft being used and the qualifications they hold. First to notice this inserted sentence and notify us by DM will receive a special congratulation at the end of the competition Landowners’ wishes and permissions must be respected. If a flight is undertaken in a restricted zone proof of permission having been granted is required.

E&OE

@group-challenges

3 Likes

MY ENTRY ( might as well be the first)
Kinnoull Hill Tower
17th March, around 15:30 with Air2
I don’t know which version you guys will see? I just recallibrated my monitors and think I donald ducked them. Hopefuly you’ll see black and white, most definitley NOT sepia!!!
Drone Scene for anyone interested in more info

12 Likes

THIS IS MY ENTRY

Date 22/03/24
Time 07:56
Drone The almighty Dji Air 2s
Location Beeston Castle, Beeston, Cheshire

Always wanted to take a journey down to this place when doing vids but never got the chance. Decided to take the hour drive yesterday morn on me day off and take a chance with the shit weather we’ve had, it worked out fine and just as I was gettin off it began to piss down. Good timing :grin:.

Thanks to @kvetner for the pointer on drone scene as to where to park, although gettin the other side I was loosing signal a tad so went round and parked on a grass verge about 800m away. Job done.

I even took the mini 3 pro out for a spin :scream: , that’s probly 3 flight’s in 18 mnths but I still like the little fella, just isn’t up to what the 2S gives you.

Here’s a little more info …

7 Likes

THIS IS MY ENTRY
March 19th 2024 at 12:40 pm
Mini 3 Pro. f1.7 at 1/1600th sec. ISO - 100.
North Devon near Lynmouth.

7 Likes

THIS IS MY ENTRY
Mavic 3 Classic, F/5.6 - 1400 Sec
Chalk Cliff
The Warren Caversham Reading
Vertical Pano

To the right of this cliff is a cave, I used to camp in there years ago until the bats started camping there too, I grabbed a screen shot of another picture I took where you can see the cave hope its ok in adding this screen shot ( is not an entry ) …

4 Likes

THIS IS MY ENTRY

Thornwick Bay East Yorkshire
Taken 24th march 2024 1620 DJI Mini4 pro very windy conditions

6 Likes

THIS IS MY ENTRY

Belle Tout lighthouse, Beachy Head near Eastbourne
Taken 29th March 2024 15:15 DJI Air 3

5 Likes

THIS IS MY ENTRY

Holbeck Slip, Scarborough 7.45am 30th March. DJI mini SE, 5m above the sea. Spent 80% of my battery looking for a lost dog so only got a couple of shots.

5 Likes

THIS IS MY ENTRY.

Staithes - East Coast
looking towards Saltburn
30/03/2024 - 18:11.
DJI Mini 3 Pro.
ISO 100.
Shutter 1/250s, 0ev.

3 Likes

This is your chance to select a winner from the pictures that have been entered for this round of RTF. As usual you may vote for one, all, some or none of the pictures. Voting is open to all GADC members whether they have a picture in the contest or not.

Voting closes on Monday, April the first - also known as April Fool’s Day - ut the poll closes at 22:00, well beyond the cutoff time for April foolish pranks.

The subject you have chosen for the next round n is Industrial.

The competition can be found here

@group-challenges

Did anyone fall foul of an April prankster? It all seemed a bit quiet this year. Or maybe because we are confined to ChallCom HQ monitoring the voting process for the RTF we don’t get to interface much with the real world.

Anyway, the tense waiting period for the result is over and we are happy to announce the top three contestants in the now customary reverse order:

In third place with our only black and white image (not sepia!) and the first one to be submitted is Darren @mynameisjoe who has given us a picture of Kinnoull Hill Tower in Perthshire, a castellated folly dramatically sited on the extreme edge of a Kinnoull Hill and overlooking the River Tay.

From the south coast we have the chalk cliffs of Beachy Headnear Eastbourne and the precariously situated Belle Tout lighthouse which Guy @speedracer66 photographed very close to the 25th anniversary of its move back from the cliff edge:

On 17 March 1999 the 850-ton Belle Tout was moved 17 metres (56 ft) away from the cliff face using a pioneering system of hydraulic jacks which pushed the building along four steel-topped concrete beams that were constantly lubricated with grease, work undertaken by the engineering firm Abbey Pynford

Just beating Guy into first place is another picture of a sea cliff with some structures close to its edge, this time taken by John @john768 - Thornaby Bay in East Yorkshire on a sunny afternoon with a moderate sea running in the windy conditions

Congratulations to John for another winning picture in the RTF series, well done to Guy and to Darren, worthy runners-up this time around but welcome regular contributors to the competition and thanks to all who braved the weather to bring us a selection of interesting and attractive images to choose from. Everyone who competed is very welcome to enter the next round, everyone who didn’t compete is equally welcome to submit pictures for the next RTF round too!

@group-challenges

6 Likes

Yayyyyyyy I came first last love it :rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

Well done @mynameisjoe Darren, @speedracer66 Guy and @john768 John and everyone who battled against the winds and the rain to get some great photos. :clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

Well done guys, great pics! :clap: :clap: :clap:

1 Like

Well done guys, and thanks for the votes. I think it’s the first time I have placed in the top 3?
Must do better!!!

4 Likes

Well done @john768 and thanks to all those who entered and voted.

1 Like

Well done everyone, great shots as usual. Yes there was so little decent weather so bring on summer!

Well done chaps, good entries. Congrats to all entries and tha ks for the votes from whoever gave them​:+1::+1::+1::+1: