RTF Competition December 4th to 17th - Winners Announced!

New month and a new competition to take us toward Christmas. You have chosen Abstract as the subject for this round - and don’t forget we are also asking you to tkake pictures on the subject of December for the GADC Pilots’ Calendar competition

Now for the bit that, if anyone reads it, they then ignore:

RTF RULES
Scope

The requirement is to submit an image, either a photo or video, to illustrate the subject of the competition. The subject for the competition running from 00:01 Sunday 4th December to 21:00 Saturday 17th December 2022 is Abstract
The image must be captured during the time that the competition is open and obviously be taken by a drone in flight - so somewhat higher than your eyeline please!

Editing is confined to colour and exposure adjustments and crop only (still) plus zoom and frame rate (video) There must be no removal or pasting of an object.

Your video must be a maximum of 30 seconds and hosted on Vimeo or YouTube. Paste the link to your video on a separate line in your post - this will allow the moderators to make a five second gif of a section of your video for entry into the poll.

You can create as many images as you wish and submit them in separate posts in this thread. However, only one image of any one subject will be accepted for judging. If you are making multiple entries please indicate which one you wish to be your competition entry at the time of posting unless you are happy for the judges to make that decision for you. Basically, if you have a selection of images of the same subject, have the courage of your convictions and post only the one that you think is best

Images must be posted with the following information as a minimum:

• Aircraft/camera used
  • Feel free to add any further information that you think will be of interest

Drone Scene

If the Drone Scene bonus is specified for the competition then a valid. sensible and original Drone Scene entry for your image will gain two bonus votes when judging takes place. There must be no prior Drone Scene entry for the subject of your photograph.

Please note the qualifier “sensible” in the previous sentence. Drone Scene entries should be of places and objects that other pilots may want to photograph, for example traffic islands or derelict barns may fall outwith that description!*

Voting

Images will be judged by the members of GADC who may vote for any number of images by means of an anonymous poll open for two days after the closing date for competition entries.

Voting in the poll is open to all GADC members, whether they have entered the competition or not.

You may vote for all, some or none of the entries.

If the Drone Scene bonus is specified for this competition and your image is correctly added to the Drone Scene map it will be awarded two bonus votes. Correctly means with a location including a nearby town or similar likely to be known by UK competitors, a useful description of the subject, drone code compliant TOAL point and any further useful information

In the event of a tie a guest judge may decide the winner

The original media may be requested by the judges in case of a dispute.

Schedule

The competition subject will be announced every second Saturday around 22:30. The subject will be chosen by a poll of GADC members selecting from three picked at random from the subject list that has been suggested by those members. Additions to the list may be made at any time.

The competition will run from Sunday 00.01 to Saturday 21.00 fourteen days later. Voting by poll will be open for a further two days until Monday 22:00

The winner, second and third placed competitors will be announced shortly after the vote is closed and counted

Have Fun! Be Safe!

All flights are the sole responsibility of the individual conducting them. Each competitor must abide by the drone code and adhere to the limitations and restrictions imposed upon them by aviation law, the aircraft being used and the qualifications they hold. Landowners wishes and permissions must be respected and adhered to. If a flight is undertaken in a restricted zone proof of permission having been granted is required.

Brought to you with :heart: , lack of :sleeping_bed: and lots and lots of :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

@group-challenges

3 Likes

Eight Walks, Savernake Forest, Marlborough

• Drone: Mini 3 Pro
  • Date: 04/12/22, 13:15
  • Drone Scene: Link

In the heart of the 2,750-acre Savernake Forest is the beech-lined Grand Avenue, the longest in Britain and part of the landscape design implemented by Capability Brown. Arriving at Eight Walks, a striking meeting point of paths, offering perfect symmetry from the air.

8 Likes

Bedwyn Octagon, near Marlborough

• Date: 04/12/22, 15:01

I have no information about this, saw it on Google Maps and thought it was very unusual. Due to the size of it, the edit comprises 12 photos, manual iso/shutter, then manually stitched.

7 Likes

Magic Roundabout, Swindon

• Date: 04/12/22, 16:25

I’ve flown here before and posted in a RTF last year. But I thought it’d make an ideal ‘abstract’ entry.

In 2005, it was voted the worst roundabout in a survey of the general public by a UK insurance company. In September 2007, the Magic Roundabout was named as one of the world’s worst junctions by a UK motoring magazine. In December 2007, BBC News reported a survey identifying The Magic Roundabout as one of the “10 Scariest Junctions in the United Kingdom”; however, the roundabout provides a better throughput of traffic than other designs and has an excellent safety record, since traffic moves too slowly to do serious damage in the event of a collision.

9 Likes

I didn’t realise the calendar competition was open yet? But then how else would you get it printed in December if the comp was still running?

Full explanation in this thread.

Timing would be tight if we go the physical print route but it would essentially be

Competition close 30 November, November winner selected 22:00 December 2nd, artwork sent off to printer by 23:30 that night.

10-14 day turn around at printer, calendars back by 16th December.

Address and postage labels preprinted so just a matter of stuffing envelopes and delivering to Post Office by 17th. Should be with customers just before or just after Christmas.

1 Like

Pike Corner SSSI Nature Reserve, Cotswold Water Park

• Date: 06/12/22, 12:09

One of the lakes (old flooded quarries) is turquoise in colour. The quarry water has a low pH (due to pyrite oxidation usually) which acts to flocculate and settle out clays and other particulate matter. Presence of micro-organisms is what turns the water turquoise.

Pike Corner is a 15.2 hectare biological Site of Special Scientific Interest in north Wiltshire, England, notified in 1986. The site lies southwest of Ashton Keynes village and covers two low-lying meadows in the floodplain of the Swill Brook.

9 Likes

Ashton Keynes Gravel Works

• Date: 06/12/22, 12:21

A gravel works on the western edge of Ashton Keynes, includes a lot of aged machinery and wide open spaces. A further 300m east is an SSSI where there are a lot of birds and wildlife, so take care when flying.

6 Likes

Now that’s a cool photo. It makes my gaze wander about to see what else I can see, then draws it back in, never leaving the frame. Keeps me wandering and looking, keeps the eyes and the brain busy. That needs printed and put on the wall as big as possible. :ok_hand:

1 Like

Cheers Darren, it is only 1 of 4 photos of mine that I’ve actually used in my 20" photo frame. My teenage boy has it as his wallpaper :joy:

Ingestre Park Golf Club 7/12/2022
DJI Mini 3 Pro
ISO 130
Shutter 1/6400
Taken at 1148hrs (uploaded 1304hrs).

Pano 360 edited as Tiny Planet using Samsung S10e editor.

5 Likes

Some great photos in already, think I’m going to have my work cut out this weekend, if the weather plays ball! Cant see me getting anywhere near top 3 though, this comp just keeps improving :ok_hand:

Winter wonderland, caversham reading.
DJI mavic air 2
@21,26
ND 16 & a little crop, No edit of colours
Added to drone scene

Picture to resemble below, Not an entry.

5 Likes

Ingestre Park Golf Club. Never imagined cart paths could look so… colourful. :sweat_smile:

Taken with mini 3P at 1155hrs 07/12/2032
Shutter 1/500
ISO 100
Edited Samsung S10e.

(Taken at same time as Drone Scene location in earlier entry).

8 Likes

Hfw Carlsberg
Main keg storage site for carlsberg

• Time and date : 21:07 07/12/2022
  • Aircraft/camera used : DjiAir2S

This look a bit like a city sky line or just a bunch of keg’s on the floor

9 Likes

Thought you were playing Tetris!

2 Likes

Yes it does look like that too :rofl:

When I woke this morning :sleeping: at first I thought it was Lego :joy: , then packs of AA batteries, then I read after :rofl:

1 Like

Location updated NN5 7QP

///trout.speak.plan

1 Like

2 Likes