RTF Competition June 5th to 18th - INDUSTRY - Winners Announced

Mini 2. 11/06/22. 16:43 hours. Wendover Dean HS2 viaduct preparations.
This will be a 450m viaduct carrying HS2.

From right to left:
Preparation of the internal haul road heading towards Great Missenden. Some sections are already tarmacked.(Photos posted in the daily photo thread). Huge amounts of spoil (11.1 million tonnes in the Chiltern area in total) are being moved particularly from tunnel excavations near Amersham. This is to reduce the number of HGV’s on the A413.

Main feature: Bauer BG45 rotary drilling rig. 2 completed concreted excavations can be seen and 2 drilling bits to the right of the drilling rig.
905_799_2_BG45_EN.indd (ecanet.com)
Around 28m high as seen, weighs between 146-180 tonnes and can drill to almost 100m. A 2008 BG40 in the UK is for sale at £680,000. Price new?!

The collection of green silo objects is a Bentonite plant according to HS2 info. This can be a slurry for a lubricant, and as a reinforcing mix into excavations before concrete is poured. This has already caused some concerns after a leak.
HS2 loses large amount of potentially highly polluting bentonite | HS2 | The Guardian
Quite a few industries represented here if you count linked industries! Plus the security staff in their car to the right of the top of the BG45! :thinking:

5 Likes

Burton upon Trent, a town built on beer.

Captured this morning at silly o’clock with the Mini 2.

Marston’s Brewery with lorries full of happiness parked and ready for the journey to quench the thirst of many drone flyers country wide.

The concrete tower sitting amongst the silos was once bedecked with the Bass logo.
That was then covered with the Coors logo.
Now it’s Grey, probably symbolising the state of the booze they now produce on an industrial basis.

Apologies to the many other breweries based in Burton for not remembering them or being able to take a photo of them.

7 Likes

Nice one Clive, one of the many places on my ‘to fly list’

Cheers Ade, it’s amazing how many hidden gems of wooded parkland come to light when you walk for just a short distance.

• Last remaining Gas Holders in Birmingham, in the Nechells area. Currently being dismantled
  • around 8pm, Tuesday 14th June
  • DJI Mini 3 Pro

10 Likes

Returning the compliment Ade!
Brilliant to get a photo of the holder before its lost forever.
Risky flying inside with with the new bird!

1 Like

Some nice entries so far :slight_smile:

I’m running out of time for this one … hope the weather this weekend has a couple of flyable windows !

Carlsberg Marston’s Brewing Company Northampton

Taken on 10th June 2022 @21:41
With Dji Air 2s in Northampton

1973 Brewing starts at a new Carlsberg brewery in Northampton. Inspired by a Danish longship, the building is the vision of Danish architect Knud Munk, for which he receives the prestigious Financial Times’ Industrial Architecture Prize.

In 2019, conversations to create a better beer business in the UK was kicked off and on 2 November 2020, Carlsberg Marston’s Brewing Company (CMBC) was formed.

CMBC sees the alliance of two businesses with a shared history and heritage, strong credibility and respect in brewing beer. And whilst we will never forget what brought us here, we’re now on the journey to write our own enviable history.

see video for reff only

6 Likes

Any brewery gets my vote :wink:

Not the most photogenic image, but I was fascinated by the history.

Beverly Shipyard produced many trawlers for the Hull fishing fleet (including the Arctic Corsair which you can visit at one of the museums), and I found some old photos of the place, plus a film from the Yorkshire Film Archive …

My RTF Entry ^^

Beverley-Shipyard
In it’s heyday

Yorkshire film archive … go to 6 mins 24 secs

4 Likes

Beverley is also a lovely little place for a wander round

1 Like

Forgot to add, image taken 17/6/22, Mini 2

Today will be my only chance to grab a shot for this, I’ve only got a few hours left before the wind is forecast to pick up to 40mph, currently about 15mph so better get me skates on!!!

And what drone did they use for the Black and White image :wink:

Left it to the last weekend… and now have 30mph gusts. sigh :frowning:

A quality selection of British industry - which one(s) will you vote for? As always you may vote for all none, one or some of the images, But hurry, the poll closes at 22:00 on Monday 20th June!

1 Like

We had a varied election of industries to admire this time round, and we seem to have gone for quality rather than quantity. Is that because industry is becoming harder to find in the UK? Certainly even thirty years ago the combined number of steelworkers, miners and shipbuilders was less than the number of people employed in Indian restaurants.

Maybe we should all do our best to document British industry, before it is too late :frowning:

Anyway - to happier matters. Our third place winner was a new entrant @Bobbysmile who set Moor Kaolinite & Tungsten works in context by showing the magical Dartmoor landscape. Well done to him!

And then we come to second place - but there isn’t one. Because we have joint first place winners = @firstadekit whose tiny planet of a soon to be demolished gasholder tied with @Acedrone 's sunset picture of the Northampton Carlsberg Marstons Brewing Company’s premises. Congratulations to both Jason and to Ade

Well done to all who entered and thanks to all who voted. Catch the next RTF competition - Roads - here

11 Likes

Awwww. Fanks. Always a pleasure to even get in the same company as @Acedrone whose pictures always look top draw.

Well done @Bobbysmile too and everyone else who took part in an enjoyable quest.

Onto the next challenge. If I can actually find a safe TOAL point that won’t get me run over. :face_with_peeking_eye:

3 Likes

Some fab pictures in there from people, and the two winners are both such cool photos and different takes on the challenge :blush:

Looking forward to the next one but like @firstadekit says, going to have to be a bit careful with the site

Thats a great tiny planet, it was my first choice and a great view from @Bobbysmile :clap: :clap: :clap: