RTF Competition June 5th to 18th - INDUSTRY - Winners Announced

It seems strangely hushed in the ChallCom bunker’s main machine hall. Once home of the mighty Votalyzer ™ the chamber echoed to the hiss of steam , the thunder of pistons and the whirring and clacking of gears, pawls and ratchets. Men in blue boilersuits and their white lab-coated supervisors scurried about, making an adjustment here, making an observation and a note there, checking bearings and gearing for overheating or misalignment.

The atmosphere was a heady mix of humidity, heat and the pungent , sharp smell of Gunderson’s Patent Number 3 Heavyweight Machine Oil. Now all the bustle is gone, the floor no longer vibrating as the machine ran up to full speed.

The vast space has been cleared of the wreckage. Walls and ceilings have been repaired and replastered, then painted in a cheerful off-white. And nestling in a corner is our newly installed, compact all-transistor, solid state DigiPoll, a marvel of miniaturization that has just finished its first live production run.

Previously a team of sweating engineers would have had to pull the plate from the Votalyzer ™, fettled and polished it then carefully installed and aligned it on the lithographic press so that a proof could be pulled and, still wet, scanned then, following adjudicator approval, released to the competition co=ordinators so that the result of the vote might be promulgated.

Tonight one person (see picture above) is able to view the poll result, check its validity and broadcast itto the waiting nation.

And the historic first result from the DigiPoll, the subject of the Reason to Fly (RTF) competition from June 5th to June 18th is ,

3 Likes

Top tip - check the rules each time a new RTF competition starts. They do change. Your entry may be disqualified if you don’t.

Ignorance is a deficiency, not an excuse!

RTF RULES

Scope

**The requirement is to submit an image, either a photo or video, to illustrate the subject of the competition. The subject for the competition running from 00:01 Sunday June 5th to 23:00 Saturday June 18th 2022 is Industry

• The image must be captured during the time that the competition is open and obviously be taken by a drone in flight - so somewhat higher than your eyeline please!
  • Editing is confined to colour and exposure adjustments and crop only (still) plus zoom and frame rate (video) There must be no removal or pasting of an object.
  • Videos must be a maximum of 30 seconds and hosted on Vimeo or YouTube. Paste the url on a separate line in your post - this will allow the moderators to make a five second gif of a section of your video for entry into the poll.
  • Competitors can create as many images as they wish and submit them in separate posts in this thread.However, only one image of any one subject will be accepted for judging. If you are making multiple entries please indicate which one you wish to be your competition entry at the time of posting.
  • You may not post multiple entries of a single subject without indicating which one you wish to be judged unless you are happy for the judges to make that decision for you,
  • Images must be posted with the following information as a minimum:
  • Aircraft/camera used
  • Feel free to add any further information that you think will be of interest

Drone Scene

• A valid. sensible and original Drone Scene entry for your image will gain two bonus votes when judging takes place - i.e. there must be no prior Drone Scene entry for the subject of your photograph.
  • Please note the qualifier “sensible” in the previous sentence. Drone Scene entries should be of places and objects that other pilots may want to photograph, for example traffic islands or derelict barns may fall outwith that description!*

Voting

• Images will be judged by the members of GADC who may vote for any number of images by means of an anonymous poll open for two days after the closing date for competition entries.
  • Voting in the poll is open to all GADC members, whether they have entered the competition or not. You may vote for all, some or none of the entries.
  • Any image that is correctly added to the Drone Scene map with details including the Drone Code compliant take-off and landing point will be awarded two bonus votes.
  • In the event of a tie a guest judge will decide the winner
  • The original media may be requested by the judges in case of a dispute.

Schedule

• The competition subject will be announced every second Saturday around 22:30. The subject will be chosen by a poll of GADC members.
  • The competition will run from Sunday 00.01 to Saturday 23.00 fourteen days later.• Voting by poll will be open for a further two days until Monday 22:00
  • The winner will be announced once the vote is closed and counted

Have Fun!

If a man bets you five pounds that he can make the Jack of Diamonds leap out of a pack of cards and squirt lemon juice in your ear, do not take the bet. Else you will end up five pounds poorer and your ear will be wet.

Should there be something here? :wink:

1 Like

We did provide you with a still of Mr. Chaplin in one of his most famous films with a curved text “Industry” artfully but none too skilfully added to one of the gearwheels via GIMP. Is there something else you would prefer? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Clearly I have been celebrating the Platinum Jubilee too much :joy: :joy:

Agsinst the rules to modify a picture. :joy:

Are mages in the photo mandatory or optional?

Thank you for your input, Colin,

We shall be watching your progress in these competitions with special interest …

1 Like

Oh dear… :scream: :joy:

1 Like

No, but you must supply them with the appropriate information as requested in the rules. Then they can impart it to us. That is if your mages, wizards, necromancers or other charlatans survive the posting process.

At least you read that far in the amended rules …

2 Likes

Looking forward to this one. So many different interpretations of Industry. Be good to see what things people come up with. Should be another entry heavy one. Weather permitting.

Here’s one to get started…

Taken just after 14:00 today, DJI Mini 2, Glasdon UK’s HQ factory on the outskirts of Blackpool, where all manner of moulded plastic items are made, inc. wheely bins, bollards etc. ( https://uk.glasdon.com/ ). Fairly generic factory buildings though :frowning:

4 Likes

Woodsmith Mine, largest polyhalite/potash (fertiliser) mine in the world a mile under the North York Moors near Whitby. I guess that counts as industry. They plan to mine it and transport it 22miles to Teeside passing under Whitby and sell it for squillions around the world. The whole site will evenutally be underground and what you see here will return to wild moorland.

Taken a bit too late in the eve 7th June with my Mini SE.

5 Likes

Victrex polymer manufacturing plant, Thornton, Lancashire

Shot 07 June at around 11am with my DJI Air 2 - screengrab from 4K60 video

4 Likes

A “BRANCH” OF THE FORESTRY INDUSTRY
Sorry couldn’t resist that title…Taken Tuesday 07/06/22 at approx 20.00 hrs with my Mavic Air2
…This is AJ SCOTTS timber mill near Wooperton Northumberland they have been in business since 1960 processing home grown harvested timber from sustainable managed forests providing sawn timber mainly to the fencing, pallet & packaging sector…they are also one of the country’s leading hardwood round timber merchants , the site covers 40 acres.

6 Likes

I have installed site cabins in here. Ballache of a place to work in.

I have not added my entry to drone scene ….I can’t imagine anybody else wanting to fly at this location or any of the others so far …2 possible bonus points down the drain :rofl:

1 Like

Forgot to mention for the chemical plant pic above - TOAL location previously loaded into Dronescene Where can I fly my drone in the UK? - Stanah - Rivers and Canals in North West

Colas plant and tanker yard, Warrington
11/06/22, approx. 17:25PM
DJI Mini 2 with CPL filter
This photo is of the local Colas plant and the tanker yard next door over which sells/rents out tanker trailers for trucks. You can often hear activity on the site from the park as the asphalt is processed or loaded onto vehicles.

6 Likes

Lee Moor Kaolinite & Tungsten works
11/06/2022 19:30 ish
DJI Mini 3 Pro

Lee Moor sits right on the edge of Dartmoor and actually cuts into the south extent slightly (making it exempt from the no drones by-law). Compared to the surrounding natural beauty, it’s quite the scar on the landscape although it is striking in it’s own way. Whilst this is the main pit, there are a number of other sizable excavations nearby, either for china clay, or tungsten. Wasn’t brave enough to overfly for the ideal shot, but got fairly close.

8 Likes