RTF Competition - VICTORIAN ENGINEERING - Winners announced!

RTF Competition Victorian Engineering

Think I am safe with this one
Grimsby Dock Tower situated in Royal Dock Grimsby.Tower was completed 27th March 1852. Has a height of 309 Feet. It was used to open and close main lock gates and also operated some of the cranes,using water pressure.

Queen Victoria herself opened the tower in October 1854
Taken 1507 28th November 2021 Grimsby Royal dock
DJI Mini 2

6 Likes

RTF Competition Entry Vicrorian Engineering

2nd Entry(Could not make my mind up which one to entry decided to enter both Image

From 1666 to the present day there has always been a mill in
the village of Waltham. Several mills have been built and
operated here and the present one, which was built between
1878-1880, is fully restored and operational as a six sail, six
storeyed working mill.
During World War I one of the sails was lost: to balance this
the opposite sail was removed. At the time timber was unavailable to replace them and in the 1920’s the sails were
reduced to single sided.
During World War II the mill was used as a Home Guard
lookout post because of its view over the River Humber.
It was worked by wind until 1962, then operated for a while by
electric engine, producing animal feed. In December 1966
Waltham Windmill Preservation Society was formed, and
began the task of restoring the mill.
The present millers maintain the workings of the mill and
occasionally grind best-quality grain to produce flour.

Taken Waltham Windmill DJI Mini 2 1423 28th Nov 2021.
Location is walking distance from my house. Done numerous flights at location.

7 Likes

So, as buildings seem to be fair game for ‘engineering’, here’s a quick snap of The Babbington Hospital, Belper, which was originally built as a workhouse in 1840, with an infirmary added in 1889. Obviously, there have been various other additions since then.

Taken with the Mavic Mini about an hour ago while on my lunch-time constitutional. I think you can tell throwing it up here was something of an afterthought. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

For god sake. I didn’t look at new threads for the past two days. Where was I yesterday! Blist Hills Victorian Town! FFS. Didn’t take any photos as I’d also been there in the Summer.

Doh!

Salts Mill, Saltaire.

Saltaire Village is located in England on the outskirts of Bradford, West Yorkshire, and owes its name to Sir Titus Salt, a textile magnate and philanthropist who built a mill and a village for his workers by the River Aire. Salts Mill was a masterpiece of its time and was hugely productive, turning out 18 miles of worsted cloth a day on 1200 looms attended to by 3000 workers. It was opened on 20 September 1853, Titus Salt’s 50th birthday and was celebrated with a banquet for his workers in the Mill’s combing shed. (Info taken from saltairevillage.info)

Video taken using a DJI Mini2
Date & time - 02/12/21 1300hrs
Added to Drone Scene
Edited using LumaFusion

4 Likes

In addition to my above video entry here is a picture of Salts Mill, Saltaire

Taken using DJI Mini2
Edited using Snapseed

7 Likes

Home to two excellent places: The Early Music Shop and the Saltaire Brewery. Although neither are actually in the mills (I don’t think), despite it being depicted on the brewery’s logo.

Don’t forget the Hockney Gallery

Yeah absolutely, a great place to visit. A regular spot for tv and film to be filmed too

My entry:

Bedworth water tower.

Taken today (04/12/2021 10:30am) with my OG Mavic Mini and edited with snapseed.

Built in 1898, this Victorian landmark is located in my home town. My late grandad actually got arrested when he was a young boy and received a summons for breaking the window of this water tower with his home made catapult. (I still own said catapult, as he left it to me in his will :rofl:)

For reference here is the link to the info on the tower itself:

This water tower, well the courtyard of the tower that is has been converted into houses and the whole area is still locked off behind big black iron gates that are now remote controlled by a key fob given to residents of the complex. A friend of mine who I met at school used to live in the converted gatehouse of the complex when we were at school.

The water tower itself holds a deep spot in my heart due to the reasons mentioned above. I’ve been meaning to fly here ever since the new rules of sub 250g came into effect. So thanks @Challenges_Committee for giving a reason to get my arse out and fly this location :ok_hand:t2:

Link to some other shots of the tower here:

For anyone who’s interested :+1:t2:

Also added to drone scene for the added bonus points link here:

10 Likes

@DeanoG60 nice photo and I like the story about your grandads antics and great that you still have the catapult, glad RTF has given you the incentive to fly at this location and capture this shot …Alan

1 Like

One week to go which means, of course, that it’s time to vote for the next competition’s subject - what will it be - Landscape, Rooftops or 400 feet directly below?

My window of opportunity is closing, 3 days holiday Sat Sun Mon and weather is crap, that leaves only Thurs to fly, I have 2 targets just ten minutes walk away and for me it’s a drone photo or no photo …fingers crossed

:+1:

1 Like

Nice One Dean @DeanoG60
Good to see Bedworth on the map, other than on the 11th of the 11th
:clap:

Thanks mate, I’ve been eyeing up the water tower for a flight for a while. It was only after the discussion of buildings being part of Victorian Civil Engineering that I decided to Google what year the water tower was built and that’s when I found out it was actually built in Victorian times so that’s what pushed me to actually go and fly it lol I would of loved to fly there longer and get some different angles but the wind was pretty strong on Saturday and my little mini was struggling pretty much had a permanent strong wind warning on my screen as well as weak signal warnings due to WiFi interference so didn’t get a very long flight.

It was that windy I tried to get a top down shot from directly above the tower but my gimbal just wouldn’t play ball it just kept jumping back by a few degrees and wouldn’t stay looking straight down for some reason not sure if it was an issue with the gimbal or if it was the wind :man_shrugging:t2:

Probably because the drone was needing to pitch to far forward or backwards to fight the wind that the gimbal was reaching its max travel and jumping by a few a degrees. :+1:t2:

That’s due to the drone needing to fly at quite a steep angle, against the wind, to maintain position. This angle means that the gimbal physical movement cannot reach the angle requested by you (reference to horizon) hence the ‘jumping back’ you experience.
@ianinlondon covered this a week or so ago when he did a strong wind test with his new M3 against a M2PRO, so he gets the credit for this answer :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah I came to the same conclusion and edited my original post lol.

1 Like

Souter Lighthouse South Shields
Ten minutes walk from my front door and 3 miles south of the river tyne on the cliffs stands Souter Lighthouse, built in1871 to alert shipping of the dangerous reefs of Whitburn Steel which in one year alone -1860 caused 20 shipwrecks, it was the first lighthouse in the world to be built specifically to use AC Electricity and was described at the time as " without doubt one of the most powerful lights in the world "
The 2 strips of uncut grass to the left of the photo indicate the location of 2 of the streets of the Old Marsden Village.

7 Likes