RTH problem - setting to device location

DND for me, I like to live stream ;o)

1 Like

Each to their own

You could try the Garmin GPS gadget on Apple Maps to make sure it works OK before trying it with the drone. I don’t think it’s anything to do with the Apple software, just if a device doesn’t have a GPS sensor built in then it obviously isn’t going to work.

The external GPS receiver would only be used to provide the location of/to the controller, not the drone.

1 Like

Yeah thanks Ping. I got the Garmin GLO for that very purpose. I need to get a decent GPS signal to the IPad I’ve decided to use. It’s only WiFi so no GPS chip. I’ll see how it goes anyways but by all accounts it’s made for the job and a good piece of kit. :+1:

1 Like

Hi fella, My GPS gadget arrived today (cheers Amazon) and yep I did the very thing you suggested and yep, Booom it works a treat. No WiFi and no sim needed. It picked out my location in no time, pinged up right away. Just to try it on Mavic Air now.

1 Like

Great, looks like you have cracked the problem. Hope it works ok

Yeah let’s hope so. Looking forward to getting out with a couple of friends and learning some more :+1:

2 Likes

Hi all, at last I have solved the problem with setting the home point to the controller point.
I got myself a Garmin GLO which connects to my iPad/IPhone via Bluetooth. This gives them a big GPS signal and so sends the drone something to fix on. Apparently (after hours of research) the iPhone or sim enabled iPad don’t have a great GPS chip on board and so triangulate cellphone towers to fix a position. Not the best for quads!! This little gadget I got works a treat with my Wi-fi only iPad. I fixed my home point in seconds. So now I can fix RTH as the controller position and not have to fix it to take off position. Woooohooo :grin:

2 Likes

Hi Ozone, you asked me to let you know how I go on with this problem, well, I think I’ve cracked it. I posted this earlier :+1:

Hi all, at last I have solved the problem with setting the home point to the controller point.
I got myself a Garmin GLO which connects to my iPad/IPhone via Bluetooth. This gives them a big GPS signal and so sends the drone something to fix on. Apparently (after hours of research) the iPhone or sim enabled iPad don’t have a great GPS chip on board and so triangulate cellphone towers to fix a position. Not the best for quads!! This little gadget I got works a treat with my Wi-fi only iPad. I fixed my home point in seconds. So now I can fix RTH as the controller position and not have to fix it to take off position. Woooohooo :grin:

1 Like

I saw your post. Glad you sorted it to your satisfaction, and the result may very well be of assistance to others.
Thanks! :+1: