RTH problem - setting to device location

Hi guys. To cut a long story short I’ll get to the point. I’m very new to this sport/hobby and have only flown my shiny new Mavic Air a couple of times. I have read the instructions over and over and have decided that the RTH is a must have. On both occasions I have tried to set the RTH to the controller point but received a message “Weak mobile device GPS signal. Cannot Aquire location info” I can set RTH to take-off location but this isn’t ideal if I’ve moved half a mile away and the drone goes dow for some reason. I have read on the internet that this is a bug in the Go4 app but I don’t know for sure. I’ve tried my iPhone, iPad and android but with the same result. Anybody know what to do? Cheers Barry

Right I’ll explain, so there are two return to home options one sets it to your phone and the other to the drone. Which have you tried?

From his post I’d say the understands the difference between the two? It’s just that he’s struggling to set it to the phone location.

1 Like

OK

Hi alexmciver,
The RTH is set to the controller which has my iPhone/ iPad or my android device attached to it. The Go 4 app indicated that the GPS has at least 17 satellites to fly. As I said I can set the RTH location to take off point which does work but this message pops up if I try to set RTH to the controller point which I should be able to use if I have Tracking engaged. The drone should be able to track the subject and if the RTH is triggered the the drone should land near the controller. That’s how I read it anyways.
Barry

The controller doesn’t have built in GPS. To set the RTH location to where you are, it’s using the phone’s GPS … and in your case it’s suggesting that the location the phone is giving isn’t accurate enough.

The 17 satellites is only what the Mavic Air’s onboard GPS is achieving.

Hi Ozonevibe,
That clears up part of the problem. The location services are switched on for the Go4 app and seem to de working. I get the little arrow indicator on my phone to say that the app is using my location. So I would of thought the drone would use this location if it is communicating with the phone. Anything else I can do?
Barry

You get that message using each device? … remembering that some iPad’s don’t have GPS.

2 Likes

Yup on each device. Can’t understand it. I have tried my Amazon Fire tablet but I know that this doesn’t have GPS. It’s ok though for practicing with
Barry

1 Like

A strange one!

btw … welcome to GADC, Barry! :+1:

If you have a moment, pop over to #introductions and … introduce yourself. :slight_smile:

Hi OzoneVibe,
Your answers to my question has got me thinking and searching on the web. Your right in saying that some iPads do not have GPS and I’ve just found out mine does not, thanks for that. However my iPhone X does have GPS so after a little digging I have turned on more switch in the “Location Services “ Hopefully this will do the trick. The only thing is I find my phone screen a little too small for the job so I have found a Garmin gadget that connects to my iPad via Bluetooth that will give precise location. What do you think?
Barry

1 Like

I’m Android, so limited knowledge on iPad’s.

I know this has been suggested before, but can’t recall the outcome.

Edit: Found the thread. The person got an Android tablet. Ha!

1 Like

I’ll try the Garmin GLO 2 for my iPad and fingers crossed it will work.
Thanks for your interest :+1:

1 Like

Let us know how that works … and if it solves this specific issue. :+1:

This is a big thing with go4 and iOS my iPad mini doesn’t work most of the time with dynamic rth nor iPhone X nor 6 6+ 7 or 8 the DJI forum has loads of queries complaints ect about this its ok with android it’s something to do with if the DJI app doesn’t get a gps data from the phone that is less than 15 feet away then it throws this warning even if you have an app that tells you the phone is accurate
It’s iOS and DJI not working together from what I can gather
I don’t use Rth anyway

1 Like

Cheers scorps :roll_eyes:. Tour input is much appreciated and by the looks Apple have something to answer for sneed badly to update their OS. I’m going to try a Garmin GLO GOS gadget that connects to my iPad via Bluetooth which should give me a good GPS signal for the drone to latch onto. It’s better than spending a fortune on new android gear. Anyways I’ll keep you guys informed. Let’s hope the weather picks up.

1 Like

Well - in the other thread that I mentioned, they bought an Android tablet for sensible money. Could be a consideration.

2 Likes

Every flight I do I switch my phone onto aeroplane mode.

1 Like

One of our members used to swear by them too, alas he’s not around anymore but he was suitably impressed by them:

:+1:t2:

1 Like

What happened to him, anyone know?