Sandisk Extreme 1tb Portable SSD - Direct plug in to android

Bit of advice needed before i spend £100 on a portable hard drive.

Last year i made the big switch from iphone to android and have upgraded all of my iOS devices to their Samsung counterpart.

I have a Samsung tab s8 ultra that i use to transfer my footage from the drone SD card to the tablets internal storage to then edit and post.

My plan today is to go and buy a Sandisk Extreme 1tb Portable SSD that will plug directly into my tablets USB port and then insert the drones SD into the MicroSD slot on the tablet. That way i can transfer all my footage off my drones sd card and keep it safe on the external harddrive.

Does anyone else have a similar workflow or have any experience moving footage to a hard drive through an android device. Im trying to eliminate the use of a laptop to do this. Hope I made sense.

Any file manager should be able to do this

On the odd occasion I need to use android (usually some dark shit) I use

I know a file manager will be able to do it my concern is will the tablet be able to read the hard drive? Ive only ever used SD cards which obviously work but never tried plugging a usb C hard drive in. Im pretty sure it will work but would rather be certain before i pull the trigger and buy it.

I have one of these Sandisk’s & there good but my flow is different, however I see there is no problem in transferring from android straight to the ssd ( the ssd needs to be formatted first )
Here’s a video I found hopefully it may help although the guy is using a phone but is android,
There are a few shorter videos on YouTube but I found this one more explanatory.

Thanks @Kirky big help!

Just out of curiosity what is your workflow for moving/backing up footage?

1 Like

I use a MacBook, of which I load all my pictures from sd card to my Mac then Mac to ssd, I don’t use android I’m afraid.

Just to clarify there are a few negative comments in that video I posted above some saying it does not work, if you go on to YouTube there are more recent videos also showing how to transfer from android to that ssd, I believe the video I posted is quite old.

Here’s a more recent video,

1 Like

I use a non-branded usb card reader with my LaCie 5tb drive with both my Samsung S20fe and iPad with no trouble at all using the native file managers on both devices.

2 Likes

I used a samsung S7 tablet last year while on holiday and a memory stick just under 1tb as this worked out the cheapest option, as the memory stick was on offer at about £30 and the usb adapter about £7 it worked a treat just a simple drag and drop file transfer. Unfortunately i have just checked Amazon and the one i brought they no longer sell.

OTG adaptor

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Adapter-Compatible-Thunderbolt-MacBook/dp/B0872VN39L/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3UQHOKP2ZZMOZ&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.EZnHkNWBAVh6jQhf7O5oy5n3h8luQuyV_Jyxhs2LypZpfy37yJDMXWGCZ9R3NYBUPBdNf09eL5nTLH_rLvsmpeImVJSmU8S-Xc9EYz-fYA7H-ZRoYXqgIAoW1jTWnXAe0Xa9zYTSNMtnLCMfODKMYc7i57w6uqdGZwJsY--h-MW4WxjGt10UiKyjijCPa01dwfJLJ7DhAU8vi5uonN38DRdCFDyI8gg5nugRI_hZrgE.8_wttlDFd5wCVxCh1arz-g7qgUUMI6mtBuZQYGB5t7g&dib_tag=se&keywords=usb+c+otg+adapter&qid=1709415391&sprefix=usb+c+ot%2Caps%2C78&sr=8-4

1 Like