Sandisk Extreme or Extreme Pro?

I know there are zillions of memory card questions, wasn’t sure where to put this.

Simple question, what’s the difference between Sandisk Extreme and Extreme Pro? I’m going to buy a couple more 32GB but they seem to have the same specs. Class 10, UHS-I, U3, V30.
The Pro is slightly more expensive but I can’t see any difference.
Thanks.

The pro has very slightly faster transfer rates. Both will work fine. Watch Amazon because sometimes the pro can be cheaper than than the extreme.

Thanks Paul. I think the Extreme is the only on available ATM for a reasonable price. I think there’s a shortage starting to happen.

64GB Extreme Pro is selling at £13.49 on Amazon at the moment :+1:t2:

3 Likes

As for capacity, I’d go for 64Gb and get a handful of them. While 128 and 256Gb may hold far more and only require a single card for a day out, leaving plenty of extra space, if that goes wrong, and I guarantee it will, just when you least expect it, you’ll end up losing so much more, then if you spread the load over a larger number of smaller capacity cards. Failures aside though, I see no real benefit between the Extreme and Extreme Pro to be honest, certainly not, if like me, you own a Mini 2 and offload all your footage, onto a PC, using a card reader. I have been using Sandisk Extreme cards for years, both in my DSLR and now in my Mini 2…The Extreme is plenty fast enough for me

and as Trailblazer points out, 64Gb Extreme Pro cards are selling at a very reasonable price at the moment and you can never have enough of them in my book. Not so many years ago, you could pay 3-4 times that for half the capacity.

2 Likes

I always use the Extreme Pro. I’ve never been able to get the Extreme to record 4K video. it’s throughput just isn’t fast enough. Fine for stills though.

3 Likes

Thanks Graham. I did have a problem with that too, which I why I was asking. Glad to find someone’s had the same issue.

Just got 2. Thanks.

1 Like

If only I could afford a handful!

Well you don’t have to buy them all at once. I have 9 at the moment, but certainly didn’t buy them all in one shot :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Well to be fair, I’ve never had a problem with 4K at 30fps on my Mini 2, but I guess it depends on the make and model of drone not just the card you are using… but if that’s one of the reason for rethinking the card(s) you use, then sure go for the Extreme Pro, after all at less than £14 for 64Gb, you can’t really say no.

1 Like

If you can, try to have at least 3 (can never have too many) :joy: and get in the practice of changing the card with battery changes :+1:t2: if something happens with drone or card then you only lose the footage from one flight :sunglasses: happy flying :ok_hand:t3:

2 Likes

Just ordered another 2 so that’s 4 in one hit.

1 Like

And, note to self. Remember to turn camera off before turning drone off. I’ve lost a couple of files that way.

Thanks for this just grabbed a couple

1 Like

If you realise you’ve forgotten to stop camera before drone, try turning drone back on, start camera then stop camera, turn off drone :wink: then check sd card in pc :+1:t2: seen people having success with this :sunglasses: seems to close the file and your footage should still be there :ok_hand:t3:

2 Likes

The way I look at it is like this, you pay a canny price for the drone so don’t scrimp on the extras, I will only use the Extreme Pro cards, they have so far never let me down, I tried the normal Extreme’s and they caused jumpy videos, an extra few quid is worth it in the long run, I have 2 128GB’s

1 Like

Excellent. I’ll try that. Thanks.

1 Like

You’re absolutely right, “don’t spoil the ship for a hap’orth of tar!”

1 Like

Did they arrive? Amazon claim mine have been delayed.

Got mine.