SD Card Question

Phantom bit rate max 60mbps where as your M2Z is 100mbps (the card probably can’t keep up).

Card tech is changing all the time.

2 Likes

Thanks for that, I’ll get on Amazon now

Best bet is to try a test flight. I was getting the error ‘sd card too slow for 4k video’ in the Mavic 2 using the SanDisk Ultra. Looks like the general consensus is to use the gold SanDisk Extreme for the Mavic. I didn’t see this error in my Phantom 4.

1 Like

That’s the answer! Thanks for that.

1 Like

Inserting and removing the card on my Mavic Air is very fiddly. I have both tweezers and a £D printer tool, part tweezer, part pusher, that deals with removal and insertion.

Onr recommendation is to use a piece of clear tape to make a tag (obviously not covering the card contacts. With a bit of brightly coloured paper sandwiched between the layers your card is easy enough to spot if dropped. The excess tape and paer should fit inside the flap that covers your SD slot.

1 Like

@macspite Thanks for the tip. Very useful. I was changing out a card a month or so ago and I dropped it. My dog who is used to me throwing him scraps wolfed it and swallowed it! I didn’t bother trying to retrieve it!

2 Likes

Thank you @macspite Love this forum for such help!

What a brilliant and simple idea - always the best I now have an on the card ref number an easier way to remove without dropping And a visual reminder I have not forgotten to load my card I’ve used my tape machine to achieve this.

Just a thought I always change my card over the lid of my bag

Just a quick geeky note here that might help understand memory card capacities and transfer rates.

Transfer rates are given in units of Mb/s - That is Mega bits per second.
Card capacities are given in units of MB - That is Mega bytes.

There are 8 bits of information in 1 byte.
Therefore 100 Mb/s is the same as 12.5 MB/s

In practice though, you should assume that 100 Mb/s is about 10 MB/s because there is a minimum 10 - 20% data overhead in error correction and connection maintenance depending on connection method (cable, wi-fi, etc.). Even for a perfect connection.

So, if a 4K video takes up 6.25 MB of memory every second at 30 frames/s, then a 100Mb/s data transfer and write rate (10MB/s) will be more than adequate. Bare in mind that if the frame rate is 60, a faster data transfer rate will be required as you will be transferring 2 x 6.25 MB/s which will be more than 100Mb/s.

In short, I’d opt for a Scandisk U3 (V30) or equivalent. That will cope with all eventualities.

2 Likes

I’m so glad you summarised that at the end my head was about to explode :crazy_face:

I’m also so glad that some people have such an aptitude for such things otherwise My DJI Air would not be such fun!

1 Like

Just purchased 2 of these, one for the P4 and the other for the MP, just gotta wait for a decent day to fly now lol

1 Like

That’s the puppies.

1 Like

Hopefully cures the jitters lmao